NHT ST4 vs Paradigm Reference Studio 60

Bronze Member
Username: Vladdracul

Post Number: 11
Does anyone have an authorative answer about which of these two speakers sound better? I know this is a very subjective issue; but given the choice, which ones would you prefer and in what degree? I currently own NHT ST4s. I have the chance to "upgrade" to Paradigm Studio 60s; but I'm not yet convinced the change would represent a definate upgrade. The ST4s are very natural sounding speakers with good bass extension and excellent neutral balance. I'm looking for tighter bass and a smoother sounding midrange. Would the Paradigms accomplish this goal? My application is 80% music. The speakers would be fed by a Rotel RSX 1056 and a Denon DVD3910 universal player. Everything below $2000 that I've compared the NHTs to in the past has not been much better sounding so I'm really interested to see if Paradigms - which enjoy quite a reputation nowdays - would do the trick.

My local Paradigm dealer is not able to provide me with an audition so I'd like to make sure this is worth exploring further.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 31
in that price range, take a look at the Paradigm Signature S2. They will not have the bass extension at the ST4's, (50Hz) but these speakers are truly some of the best speakers in their price range.

The highs and mids are almost electrostatic in smoothness, while giving up absolutly NOTHING to the soundstage. Neutral is the name of the game, and the Sigs are even better than the studios in that reguard.

Bass performance is as tight as a drumhead. There is no overhang, or boxiness induced by the bass.

Here is a review of the S2's:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_signature_s2.htm

the review ends with this line:

"If you've dreamed of owning a best-of-its-type loudspeaker but never thought you had the money to do so, times have changed. The Paradigm Signature S2 is for you."

The price is from $1900 to $2200 depending on the finish

go to http://signature.paradigm.com and locate a dealer. If I remember correctly, regular paradigm dealers can get the sigs in as well IF you commit to buy them.

These speakers truly are THAT good.

gavin

Bronze Member
Username: Vladdracul

Post Number: 12
Thanks Gavim,

Yes, the Paradigm Signature line seems fantastic. The problem is that I need full range speakers in this case. But the S2s are certainly worth a listen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
IMHO, the MartinLogan Mosaic would represent a "must hear" as well. They are downright stunning, and are $2000.

they have a planar magnetic midrange and tweeter, so the highs and mids are silk smooth once broken in. The bass is darn tight too.

If you can audition these speakers, make sure they have been broken in, and are on quality equipment. If they arent, they will sound nasty.

Properly broken in, these are a nice, mellow speaker with smooth, to die for mids, awesome highs, and TIGHT bass from the 8 inch woofer.

There is also another speaker below this one called the Montage for $1500. The difference between these two is that the Montage uses a planar tweeter and 2 6.5 inch woofers for mids and bass. Not sure of schematics. Some prefer the Montage to the Mosaic, and vica-versa.

I can't comment, as I havent heard the Montage, but here is a review:

http://www.avrev.com/equip/martinloganmontage/index.html

I personally LOVE the planar sound, and if you havent heard a planar speaker, you owe it to yourself to check one out.

I am just trying to throw out some other options other than paradigm, even though I love them as well (have a pair and sub)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
the studio 60's are excellent speakers though. IMHO, the ones mentioned above will prove a better upgrade.

gavin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us