Do I need a power amp with a receiver?

Username: Nvn

Post Number: 2
I have a H/K receiver 70 wpc, and I just aquired a pair of StudioLab speaker rating 300 W each. After I hooked up the speaker, it sounds congested like don't have enough juice even though the volume is all the way up. Is it the speaker sound bad or the HK receiver cannot drive the speaker?

Thanks,
nvn

Anonymous

You probably do need a seperate amp to drive those speakers. What ohm rating are they? I am running into the same problem with a 150watt 6 ohm speakers and a HK 65watt receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 276
If you like your H/K otherwise you might consider buying the H/K 7200 if you can still find one. It has been selling ay $800 or so at some sites and has more than enough power for any need. Maybe someone can mention where they got one recently.

Unregistered guest
$789 at www.onecall.com
If you really want, go to www.jandr.com and see if they will price match onecall. JandR offers free shipping!

Just bought mine and it sounds great!!!

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 20
Will somebody please tell me what is wrong with the HK 7200 deal at onecall? Last year's model? I need to upgrade soon (but not yet), and I certainly hope this is not the last 'steal' I see.

BTW, I've heard of A-Trains, but what's the purpose of the 'A-Bus' connector on the back of the unit?

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 21
Also check

http://refurbelectronics.com/avr7200.html

new in box

Username: Nvn

Post Number: 3
My speakers are 8 ohm. I don't want to spend $800 to replace my current receiver, so I'm thinking of buying a seperate amp to drive the two front speakers. My concern is will the front speakers lounder than the surround speakers when watch DVDs (5.1)? For the seperate amp, how many Watts should it be to drives 300W speakers? I'm looking at the Samson or Crown. Anyone have any experience with those amp? I'm open for sugestion. My budget is under $500.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 414
nvn:

If you are looking for a good two channel amp to drive your front speakers, you cannot do better than the closeout on the NAD C270 at Saturday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com -- click on "Deals Page"). Cost is $399, and you get 120 wpc continuous, IHF dynamic power is 210 wpc. It has recently been replaced by the newer C272, but the 272 will cost nearly twice as much and it isn't that much different. The 270 has loads of serious power but is also very capable of producing very minute detail, as well.

BTW, I don't know about Samson, but I know Crown is more of a PA amp than a home amp. That means it is really meant for sheer volume, not detail. It will have much higher distortion than will a true home amp. I wouldn't get one, myself.

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 285
Having a more powerful amp connected to the front two speakers will have no effect on the volume balance. Your receiver will still be adjusting the volume--not the amplifier. The amplifier will just allow the front speakers to possibly sound better if they are underpowered.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 236
John S: just FYI, the "A-Bus" is an Audio Bus connector. Audio Bus is a standard for doing whole-house audio (2nd room... etc).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us