Rotel RCD02 vs NAD CD542 vs Cambridge Azur 640 vs Arcam CD73

Audiofreak
Unregistered guest
Howdy! I am in the market for a CD player. Could somebody offer some pointers as to which brand is the best for my set up? Rotel RCD02 vs NAD CD542 vs Cambridge Azur 640 vs Arcam CD73

Running on either a Arcam AVR300 or Rotel 1067 or NAD773 Receiver with Paradigm Studio 60v 3 speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 17
I just went thru a very similar exercise and selected the Arcam CD82T. I based my choice on a combination of the reviews, an audition, and information I was able to find regarding the Wolfson DACs used in the Arcam. Sounds pretty good to me.

Username: Spl

Post Number: 4
I was on a look out for a cd player for a month. Last week, I purchased the NAD C542. I was only able to compare it with the Rotel RCD02 since the Arcam CD73t was outside of my budget and I wanted one with HDCD decoding.

I'm very happy with my NAD. It's only connected to my Marantz SR7200 receiver now but the difference was astounding as compared to my Pioneer DV633A.

At first, I was disappointed a bit. I felt that the Pioneer using the Marantz DAC seemed better. I felt that the voice became smaller.

After a few minutes, I realized that the voice became smaller because it became more focused and lifelike. Whereas before, the voice felt like it was coming from a 10 foot giant. The vocals now seemed farther away from me while before, it felt like 5 feet from me.

The next I noticed were details I hear that weren't there before. The Marantz DAC alredy did a very good job compared to the Onkyos, Denons and Pioneers that I auditioned before. I'm surprised that the NAD surpassed it still.

Next thing is HDCD. I can't believe the quality of the HDCD recordings that I have. For some, I never knew they were HDCD but the light indicator lights up.

I need to go to the mall now so I'll cut my post short. But if you have other questions, please feel free to ask.

By the way, I have a friend who had the NAD 542 and he changed it to the Arcam CD73t and he says there is a considerable improvement.

However, I also read somewhere that the NAD 542 playing an HDCD sounds better than the Arcam CD73t playing the same CD.

Bronze Member
Username: Alexfromholland

I own a NAD C541, also with HDCD decoder. Could you tell me which HDCD's you have, because I'm not able to find some. (there's no list anymore on www.hdcd.com)

Post Number: 6
I only have quite a few and some are just local releases (Manila only).

You can go to cduniverse.com and select HDCD as your category and you'll get quite a hefty list.

I'm currently enjoying the following HDCDs:
James Ingrame - Forever More
B-52's - Time Capsule
Tuck and Patti - A Gift of Love

RoD-or-RicK
Unregistered guest
FYI hit that HDCD link again Microsoft has an even more comprehensive list of all HDCD's.

Username: Andrewpaul

North Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 2
hdcd.com list of special cds seems a bit limited, does anyone know of any other listings...particularly recent releases by well know groups (coldplay, cafe del mar, Ben Harper, Lenny Kravitz, etc).
Lots of titles on the www.hdcd.com site by musicians I've never heard of...pity.

Do you just go into a regular music store and just hunt around for the logo on the cd selections available? Or are they kept separated like DVDaudio and SACD discs?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 157
Hey Audiofreak,

If I were using such heavyweight amps, I'd want a CD player that really made them rock. You're coming in with relatively lightweight CD players. Any chance of upping the ante to the next step where CD players start getting serious in terms of performance? I'm thinking of things like the Arcam Diva 192, Naim CD5i and Cyrus CD8.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I go to cduniverse.com and you can see that they have a section for HDCDs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Hi, I sold my NAD C542 to my sister a month ago so I could upgrade my amps. I plan to buy a new cd player again by next week. To be safe, I plan to get another C542 since I enjoyed that one. Would anyone recommend the Rotel RCD-1072, Cambridge 640C, or Arcam CD73T over the C542?

Anyone has compared these players?

Bronze Member
Username: James0226

Post Number: 19
why would you sell a NAD C542 just to get another one?????????

I hope you gave yor sister a good deal!!! Personally, if my sister is interested I would have gave it to her for free...... just my opinion.

Post Number: 3
c542 and cambridge 640c are about the same in terms of audio quality. The 640 is a little clinical sounding whereas the NADc542 is warmer and more rounded. Try a demo like I did preferably with your amp. I choose the NAD in the end because I thought it sounded friendlier via a NAD amp. It was also $100 cheaper in Australia.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 173
Myki

The 542 is a great CD player and good value for money here in the UK. The Arcam is a better player for about a third again the money.

All that said, it does depend somewhat on your amps. After all, you want a synergistic combination.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 30
Frank,

Thanks for the info. I decided to stick it out with another C542. I have invested on around 15 HDCD's already so I rather have a player which can optimally play these.

Unregistered guest
I'm torn between the NAD C542 and the Rotel RCD-02. They're priced comparably here in the U.S. I've been able to listen to both of them through my existing NAD 7155 receiver and I find them both very good sounding. However, I have heard many negative comments about NAD as a company and the quality of their current products. The story I keep hearing is "it's not the same company it was 20, or even 10 years ago." Can anyone comment?And what were the factors that prevented the Rotel from getting 5 stars in the review mentioned above?

nout
Unregistered guest
The story I keep hearing is "it's not the same company it was 20, or even 10 years ago."

I wouldn't worry about that stories.
Why are there so many NAD users? Because NAD isn't reliable?

You'll hear the same stuff about Marantz:"well those new amps aren't that good as the 70's models".
(So what? I like my new Marantz very much and so do many)
Harman Kardon: "Build quality isn't that good anymore".
(They still make nice amps in my opninion)
Yamaha: "their house sound is changed from warm to bright".
(a matter of taste, it doesn't mean the products suck)
Sony: "not reliable, their products only last one year nowadays".
(a few bad experiences with budget stuff doesn't make this brand crap)

You can get unlucky that's true, that you pick the rotten apple out of 100 good ones.

And what were the factors that prevented the Rotel from getting 5 stars in the review mentioned above?

I don't know. NAD sounds better?

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 27
I dont know why NAD has this quality reputation in the US. Its not the same in the UK, NAD is synonymous with no nonsense solid build and performance. Several friends and myself have owned NAD gear for years, and its lasted longer than any equivalently prices Japanese made equipment. I just sold my 3130 amp that i bought in 1985 in perfect working order.

Maybe the Rotel didnt get 5 stars because to the ears of that reviewer it didnt sound as good. Its your decision at the end of the day :-)

Post Number: 4
Problems with NAD products?
ummm....

Here's an interesting story.

Went in to a well respected hifi shop here in Sydney and was interested in buying some speakers. The shop owner, who's been in the industry many years asked me what kind of gear I had. So I proceeded to outline my equipment which includes a 20 year old NAD amp (3020) and a 5year old NADc340 amp...he interrupted me at that point to explain how he didn't think NAD gear was up to scratch (reliability problems) and how it's all made in Asia (cheap and nasty way to build electronics) and that was not good enough for him and that is why he'd not consider stocking the brand. I was a bit surprised and deflated. He then showed me his gleaming new Roksan and Denon electronics and proceeded to tell me how he thought these would sell based on their superior quality, etc, etc. I bought a pair of his speakers anyway and just ignored the negative NAD comments. Six to eight months later I wander into the same store again...and by now, I'm considering updating my failing Marantz cd player. One of the sales assistants proudly rush me over to their new equipment racks and "lo and behold" what I see before me are two brand new NAD cd players!!! Talk about a mighty back-flip. So I think the owner was sucked in by all the nasty industry gossip. I am now the proud owner of a NAD cd player too and nobody I know has had any serious problems with NAD reliability. They may not be the prettiest electronics but they provide a average audiofile-on-a-budget some taste of real hifi.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank_l

Timmins, On, Canada

My first two NAD products are a T773 receiver and T533 palyer - and so far no problems whatsoever. The only misleading information I received from the dealer in the selection process was the issue of video up-conversion by the receiver from any format to component - well - the T773 DOES NOT do it. No big deal though - I have a component video cable and an S-video run to the projector and just select different inputs depending what I'm watching.

BTW - receiving my Rotel RCD-1070 today (same guts as the RCD-02) ... will submit impresssions later

Bronze Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 45
I'll wager that Denon also assembles its products in China or some equally "cheap and nasty" country. There is nothing especially nasty about assembly in those regions, just that labour costs are very low compared to North America or Western Europe.

Its where is it designed, and to what specification is significantly more important.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 265
Of course, I'd rather be able to buy equipment that was both designed and manufactured in Britain - but it would price the gear out of our budget range. The fact that the NAD plants are in China (that's the Orient, btw - not Asia) does not inhibit the build quality, as far as I am aware. If they say there is a massive torroid in there, if they say it's not built using cheap, stock circuits, then that's quite believable when you hear how they handle the signal. Besides, if they lied about what was in them, they'd face the Trade Descriptions Act.

"Sony: "not reliable, their products only last one year nowadays".
(a few bad experiences with budget stuff doesn't make this brand crap)"

Sorry, Nout but I beg to differ on that point.

I haven't just had a few 'bad' experiences with SONY - I've had several units simply fall apart on me in less than a year. Although they dabble in the audiofile-grade market at the high end, they seem to proliferate a lot of crap across the spectrum of the market, in my opinion. Even then, I find them hideously overpriced and gimmick-ridden suckers.

I'd rate Panasonic as a far more honest and reliable brand - at least at the Technics end, which isn't too bad. Interestingly, I saw an open University doc, which showed how Matsushita (Panasonic) distribute their labour to smaller businesess, where quality is a must, if they are to be paid by peicework.

V

PasDeCheval
Unregistered guest
Denon is a Japanese company, just like Sony.

Bronze Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 95
And?

Bronze Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 96
And?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums