Totem MITE vs. Quad 11L vs. Dynaudio Audience 42??

Username: Stevengd

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I been using a pair of KEF's Q Compact which drive by Cambridge Audio azur 640A for month. But just couple days ago I brought a pair of Totem MITE (from A&B Sound for $599), instantly I can tell how much better MITEs compare to Q Compact. But I also interest in the others: Quad 11L and Audience 42. I never have a chance to heard them, but they are good on reviews. So anyone here can offer an opinion?
Any input will appreciate.
:-)

Remco
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I tested the Audience 42 and Mite last Friday in a shop with my own Yamaha reciever. The Mite sounded better in the details and stereo sound. You can almost hear the exact location of instruments within the stereo range. For instance, I could almost hear when for instance a guitar was added somewhere at the back on the left side. It does not however produce a full sound with lots of bass. But it has a sufficient bass sound. The Audience 42 also has a good sound but is not that precise. This one has a more full sound (with more bass in it) probably because of its larger size, but is not that accurate on the details compared to the Totem.

StuartNADfan
Unregistered guest
I use Mites, but on one system I've added a PSB sub (5i) with a low crossover (70Hz) just to capture the bass a little better. This works for classical, but when I put on most pop/rock I have to turn the sub off. Controls are on the front, very easy to use. Mites are my favourite.

Bronze Member
Username: Se7en

Post Number: 11
how come you have to turn the sub off?

StuartNADfan
Unregistered guest
I actually just turn the volume down. Why? Because the bass is exaggerated on a lot of pop CDs and FM broadcasts. Maybe someone else would like it, but I don't.
Cheers!

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 92
The Dynaudio 42's can be a bit vague with image placement. The Dane's neutrality and revealing character will reproduce precisely whatever is fed to them. A poor source, ampflication, interconnects, and speaker cables will be apparent thus imaging will be subpar. You don't have to spend a ton of money to make them sing but better components and cables will be noticably apparent with the Dyn's than with many other speakers.

Shahrukh
Unregistered guest
I heard the Dyns just yesterday at Lakozy. Did an AB with PSB 25 somethings... (Used a regular NAD 325 BEE and van del hull spkr cables)Though the dyn was easier on my ears, it lacked accurate timing. Even bass was rather poor. That's where the psb made up. I'd say the Dynaudio 52 SE is a better bet!

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 94
I don't know the NAD 325BEE but I do know the 320BEE and it is only rated at 50x2 watts. The bass will not be as prominent at lower listening levels with the BEE. Van del hull spkr cables are warm cables almost to the point of boring with already warm speakers and amp.

But you are right I have heard nothing but good things said about the 52 SE but they are in a different price range as the regular 42/52.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us