Int. Amp for B&W 602S3: Azur 640A or Rotel RA-02

Chai
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for an Int.Amp to drive my B&W 602S3 for music listening. Considering myself as a newby in this field, I search through all those 'phile mag' and come up with my final short list.

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A or Rotel RA-02.

Your all expert suggestion/recommendation (even any other model/brand) will be very much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 119
Depends what sort of sound you want. Those are both decent amps - the Azur will give you a warm sound and the Rotel a more neutral/slightly bright sound. Do you like lots of treble which can sound harsh on certain recordings (Rotel) or do you prefer a rolled-off treble which gives an easier and non-fatiguing sound (Cambridge)? Another amp to look at is the Nad C320BEE - don't let the cheaper price put you off, it's a cracking amp and I'd prefer it to either on your shortlist.

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

PuneIndia

Post Number: 44
NAD 320BEE pairs excellent with the B&W 602 S3, i have exactly the same combination, and it rocks !!
Also NAD fools u with their power rating :-), they always underrate their amps...

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

PuneIndia

Post Number: 45
NAD 320BEE pairs excellent with the B&W 602 S3, i have exactly the same combination, and it rocks !!
Also NAD fools u with their power rating :-), they always underrate their amps...

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 355
If you can afford the NAD C352 I suggest you take it. It's easily better than the already nice 320Bee while still beeing affordable. The RA-02 is fine, but weaker than the NADs, although it has a built in phono pre-amp. The Azur 640A is ok too, but perhaps it's too warm and mellow sounding for the B&Ws.

Anonymous

exuse me for askiing this ... waht is phono pre amP????

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 66
Anon,

In order to connect a turntable to an amplifier, the output signal from the cartridge needs both additional amplifiaction and frequency correction to adress the very low output voltage from a cartridge, and also to correct for the RIAA equalisation process (this is basically reducing the low frequency levels of a vinyl recording to allow more space on the record, and also to assist in reproduction of low frequencies by reducing the amplitude of the mechanical movements of the recording and playback stylus)

Traditionally, this phono equalisation stage was built into most amplifiers, but the advent of CD measn that most integrated amps do not include a phono stage. In this instance, you will need to buy a seperate box, known as a phono pre-amp; into which you connect your turntable, and which then connects into a standard line input (aux, tape, CD whatever you want to use) on your amp.

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 110
adding to this since i have bought a pair of said speakers:

The rotel sounds great with the 602 S3. I have a NAD 352, its different from the rotel, but not so much to change yor mind on the speakers. The cambridge should be ok also, but its is light in the bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us