I need help please, I'm close to begging (popping sound)

Username: Britney

Wilsonville, Or Usa

Post Number: 2
Hello all

I'm experiencing this ear piercing popping sound coming out of my speakers only when I play back movies (DVD) This is weird cause it doesn't always happen and I've tried to reproduce it on my own but I can't it seems to do it when ever it wants.

I'm using a Harmon Kardon AVR85 which I'm pleased with minus the popping sound, connected to a Sony DVPS7000 using Monster Cable Dig Coax.

Here's what I have figured out thus far:

It only happens in DD/coax mode and never happens when I switch to RCAs in Prologic mode.

It happens a lot when I turn on my receiver and immediately pop in a movie with out letting the receiver warm up, yeah it sounds silly but if I turn on my receiver and let it warm up I won't get that popping sound.

Also there is one movie in particular that it happens a lot (A few good men) for some reason it happens a lot with this movie, now it does happen with other movies also and mostly in parts where no sound is present (silent or quite scenes).

The sound is as loud as the volume is turned up. I'm afraid this is going to ruin my speakers.

At first I thought it was my DVD player so I took it back and got a replacement, that didn't fix the problem. I took in my receiver in for a check up but they found nothing wrong with it (waste of money)

I've been stumped for too many months now.

I would be so thrilled if anyone can share some ideas with me.

Thank you
Britney

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

How long does the receiver have to warm up before this problem doesn't exist?

Wilsonville, Or Usa

Post Number: 3
I would say at least 10-15 minutes.

Are you on to something :-)

Brit

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 289
I wonder if it could be static....?

V

Wilsonville, Or Usa

Post Number: 4
How would I know if it's static?

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 293
By taking measures to remove it. If you de-stat the the deck and the disc and the problems cease - there's your answer.

I was refering to the static which builds up on discs and the transport of the player. Strikes me it isn't this, since you've already changed the player - but there's no harm in cleaning it anyway, is there?

Okay - popping. So the reciever and the player check out. Something is changing during operation and you've linked it to the warming up. Then in that case....

Next thing to try changing is the interconnects. You could check to see if the contacts are corroded or dirty. Also make sure your electrical end is in a neat'n'tidy state. Check your plugs for loose connections and inapropriate fuses. Touch-test any splitters, routers or multisocket arrangments for undue warming with heavy use.

V

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 294
Theres another thing I just thought of. Digital cables carry a much higher signal strength. Could be something to do with this. 'Fraid you'll have to consult a more competant oracle than myself on that matter.

V

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Here are a few things to try. First, take the disc(s) that have the most consistent problems and play them to mark where the problems occur. If this is a totally random popping, you can find a selection where the pops occur the most. If the pops are repeatable, in that they happen at the same spot every time that moment is played, mark down the exact spot for future reference.
I would start with a different cable for the DD connection. Doesn't have to be anything special, you just want to eliminate the cable as a possible problem. Listen with your ear at the receiver for any noises that might originate in the receiver as the pops occur.
If the problem persists after you've changed the cable, I would try a different input on the receiver that wil accept the DD signal from the DVD. If the problem still persists, I would call HK and ask for an opinion. They are likely to refer you to a shop for service if they think the receiver may be at fault. If that's the case, take along your DVD player and the discs which show the problem. Don't rely on the shop's discs and make certain the problem is written down for the tech exactly as you describe it. If possible talk to the tech yourself. Make certain the technician knows the problem disappears after the unit warms up a few minutes.
If it comes down to having the unit in the shop, you want them to replicate the problem as quickly and consistently as possible. Intermittent problems are the most difficult to find. Work with the shop and hopefully you can get this solved.

Wilsonville, Or Usa

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all your help :-) I'll get busy.

Brit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us