Please help me with my Sony speakers

Username: Lukazi2001

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 1
I recently bought sony floor-standing speakers SS-MF450H (maximum input power).I use them with sony receiver STR-DE597 (6x100 W).It is totaly unclear to me what the maximum input power means.The terms I am used to are: long term power and short term power.I am affraid of damaging my speakers when I set the volume on the receiver to the maximum.Therefore,I have two questions:
1. What is maximum input power?
2. May I turn up the volume on the receiver to the maximum?
I asked many people,but didn't know to tell me.
Thanks a lot.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2616
You are thinking way too much into your component's capabilities. STOP.
Your system will be fine.
If it is too loud and you hear distortion or it starts to clip and go into protect mode, back the volume down.
That's it.

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 2
Yes Berny, thanks.
But I dont have much experience with all this.So, I dont really know when the clipping or distortion starts.I wish I could know approximately what the real power (RMS) of my speakers is.
Thanks again.Bye.

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 3
Yes Berny, thanks.
But I dont have much experience with all this.So, I dont really know when the clipping or distortion starts.I wish I could know approximately what the real power (RMS) of my speakers is.
Thanks again.Bye.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2619
I believe it is 75 continuous and peaking at 150 watts, so your speaker should be able to handle it. Don't worry, that receiver won't be going anywhere near 75 RMS continuous.
Clipping is this loud distorted shrill sound. You'll know when you hear it, it is quite unpleasant. It is more common with underpowered amps with power hungry speakers. Your Sony speakers are not power hungry so you will be safe.

cheers

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 4
yes.But I think my receiver has rms=100 W, not 75.Actually,in specification says:rated power output at stereo mode(8 ohms 1 khz, THD 0,7 %) 100 W + 100 W.I dont know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2623
I was referring to your speakers, being that they can sustain a 75 watt continuous feed and can handle a peak of 150 watts. Your receiver is rated at 100 watts per channel, and I was meaning to say that it will probably not even sustain a continuous 75 watt output.

Here is an excellent discussion that you may want to check out.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/118859.html

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 52
I agree with Berny, your receiver would certainly put out less than 100W per channel continuously over the full range 20-20,000Hz. It is rated at 1KHz only and 1KHz is where human ears are most sensitive to sound. However, our hearing tends to be much less sensitive as the sound frequency moves to the 2 extreme ends (20Hz for low and 20KHz for hi). That explains why at low listening levels, the bass and treble seem to disappear and many receivers give you a Loudness control to compensate for these "losses". In short, that Sony would put out much less than 100W RMS over the whole audible audio spectrum.

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 75
Luka,

You will know when you have exceeded your speakers power rating since the drivers will hit the end stops, making a very unmusical thud (thats if you can hear it over the din they will be making).

If you amplifier os running out of power before this happens, then you will hear a shrill fuzzy very distorted sound (think overdriven heavy rock guitar type of noise). If you hear this, immediatley turn the volume down, since you risk damaging the high frequncy driver (tweeter). Hopefully, your amplifiers protection circuit will have already cut in before this happens...good luck

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 5
Guys thank you all.I appreciate your help very much.Yes,then I suppose I will know when they are overdriven. My best regards.

Podgorica, Montenegro

Post Number: 6
I see in my specification it says:
Stereo Power Rating : 90 Watts Per Channel x 2 (8 ohms 40 Hz-20 kHz, THD .09%)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us