Energy Vs. Paradigm - need help deciding

Username: Musca

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hello,
It's been 3 weeks since I have started the decision process. Oh, man it's really hard (all the options you have these days). Before Christmas I knew nothing about "Home Audio", today thanks to you guys I can say that at least I understand the language. Now... my shortlist has the following: in one corner Energy C-9 as main plus Energy C-3 as surround. On the other corner I have Paradigm Monitor 11 plus Paradigm MiniMonitors. The room is 18'x18' open to the staircase. The listening will probably be at first 100% music (all kinds) and that's why I leave out the center channel and the sub for now.
Personally I would lean toward the Energy for the good looks (I know I'm not supposed to chose my speakers by the looks-and this is the reason for my asking for your help). The reviews I read are favorable for both Energy and Paradigm. The receiver I have in mind will be a 7.1, something around 100 watts per channel (maybe a Yamaha RXV750 or a Pioneer VSX-1014). For the DVD I would like a SACD/DVD-A capable(Pioneer DV-578A -got good reviews amongs you and audio/video magazines).
So, the first question first - what is your opinion? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Username: Jtc

Post Number: 6
Hey george, I have been into hometheater for a little while but just recently decided to upgrade into "higher-end products", and there is a major difference. I just bought paradigms studio 60's. I tried out paradigms monitor's and found the monitor 7 sounded way better then the monitor 11 and monitor 9. I dont know why it sounded better, it could have been less boomy than the 9's or 11's. I then tried the studio 40's and 60's and those monitor's can not touch the studio's. I ended up purchasing a yamaha rx-v2500. I know the studio's cost more but they might be worth a listen to.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info Jeff. However the Studios are out of my budget. In fact my budget started very low and I kept upgrading it until I had to say That's enough. It's curious what you're telling me that Monitor 7 are better than 11. I actually haven't had the ocasion to listen to both of them, only the 11's.

Anybody out there listen to the Energy C9 or C7?

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1087
I have not had a Energy dealer nearby for a few years but I agree about the Paradigm 7's sounding better than the 9 or 11. The 7 has much better balance as the drivers compliment each other better. The 6.5 inch bass driver is a better match with the tweeter as the larger drivers in the 9 and 11 overwhelm the tweeter and produce a sloppy, boomy bass while the 7 is tighter and quicker. I think the 7 is one of the best buys in speakers today. I have spent a couple hours switching back and forth between the 7 and Studio 60 [both v2's] and I could not say that the 60 is worth twice the price of the 7. The 60's are better but probably not twice as good especially if you are on a tight budget. The 7' and a Yamaha 1500 or 2500 make a very nice midpriced combination.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Thanks RealElite! The 11's have same 6.5 inches bass drivers, too. Only they have two more per speaker (this is v.3). I wonder my room being quite large (18'X18' with an open connection to the stairs and hallways) would the 7's be able to fill it? I could see that you have a lot of experience and I will trust your word.
Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
I don't see any reason why the 7's wouldn't fill your space very well. By v3 I mean version 3 which is the current model series of the 7's. In other words there have been three different models runs of the Monitor Series since it's been introduced. Same with the Studio Series.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Thank you very much RealElite. Your help is very appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 41
Thought that i might want to let elite know that the v4 are out for the monitor line. They came out about 2 months ago here in Canada, not sure if they are out in the states yet. They are pretty much the same, just different crossover and slightly different look.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1089
Thanks. As far as I know the v4 is not here yet as my Paradigm dealer has only stocked the v3 since late summer 2003 I am surprised their is a v4 already. The v2 was out for several years and I wonder why Paradigm is cranking out new versions within 2 years. Paradigms's website shows the v3 version also.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 42
Here is the monitor 11's v4 for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993%26item%3D5742271484% 26

RMS
Unregistered guest
At least here in California, my dealer has had Monitor 4vs for at least a couple weeks. They started clearning their v3s out over a month ago. I haven listened to the v4s yet, but from a pure cosmetic level, I think the 3s look better in my opinion. The silver plate on the lower front of the 4s seems to cheapen the look of the speaker.

Since the 4s are still new you might be able score a great deal on set of the v3s. I also agree with everyone here that the Monitor 7s are the best in the Monitor line. Much better balance in the speaker compared to the boominess of the 9s to my ears. That said, I seem to be leaning towards Studio 100s even though it completely blows the budgets by a bunch.

Username: Geneticdrift

Post Number: 1
I like the sound of the monitor 7's but to me the 11's just seem much fuller sounding and a bit more dynamic. for a large room i would suggest the 11's.

Bronze Member
Username: Kjrice

Post Number: 14
I thought the 11's were a bit muddy with too much bass...not the right balance.

Username: Southpaw

VIRGINIA

Post Number: 3
My basement is 18X24. I listened to the 7, 9 and 11's. I ruled the 9's out immediately. I went with the 11's b/c of room size. I love them. I have V4. Paid $900 at local hifi store. The 7's are very good and I was told they are a great selling speaker.

Bronze Member
Username: Reggie_lives

Post Number: 12
I am currently using a pair of titans as a center and a rear center speaker, with 2 cheap polk audio r30's as fronts, and some cheap bose's as surrounds (the r30's and the bose were given to me). I'm wanting to replace the R30's with either a pair of Phantom's, Mini Monitors or Monitor 5's.

Would thsi result in the center channel being overpowered by my front speakers?

Or should I toss the polk and bose, use the titans as rears, and wait till i can afford a real center channel? (due to space constraints, i'm not sure if one iwll fit in my setup)>

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us