NAD with PSB

Seamus
Unregistered guest
I'm a complete newbie to the audio world, and would appreciate all the advice I can get. I currently have a Basically Overpriced Sonically lacklustrE lifestyle system, which I want to replace and get something that offers much more bang for the buck. Have pretty much decided on the NAD T753. I audiotioned a NAD stereo amplifier (the receiver wasn't available at the store) with some expensive French speakers, a pair of Acoustic Research (don't know the model no.) and PSB Alpha T. Have any of you found the PSB Alpha T slightly bright and lacking in low frequency with a NAD? Is it just my ignorance or is that the "high-end sound"? How would you compare PSB Alpha T with AR?

On another point, Hawk, have you received the T753 as yet ? How's your experience been?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 79
Seamus,

You have to keep in mind that the PSB Alpha series is their budget end model. So to answer your question, no, it probably isn't the "high end sound" that you are looking for. The Alpha's are excellent speakers for a very good price, but it is unfair to expect them to compete with other, more expensive speakers. If you want hear some PSB speakers on a more level playing field, try the Image line. They are a little more expensive, but are still very moderately priced. I have some Image series speakers paired with an NAD T762 and I have heard none of the brightness that you speak of...in fact, just the opposite. The sound is actually fairly mellow and accurate.

I would not knock the PSB/NAD combo...or any combo for that matter...until you have been able to hear the receiver paired with them, not just the stereo amp. I don't know which stereo amp you are talking about, but the two might sound significantly different.

Seamus
Unregistered guest
Thanks Johnny.
I had heard the NAD C352 with Alpha T's. I live in Switzerland, and unfortunately, the authorised PSB distributor does not carry the Image line here. And the Platimun series are way over my budget.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 80
I can understand that. That is very odd that they only carry the Alpha and Platinum lines. Those two lines are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum...the Alpha's are very budget oriented while the Platinum's are super high end. That leaves a lot of uncovered territory in between.

I don't think I have ever heard that NAD amp, so I really can't comment on it. My best advice is to try to audition the Alpha's with the 753. That is the only way you will know for sure. If it still sounds bright with the receiver, then you have your answer. Every person hears things differently...what sounds bright to you may be very appealing to someone else.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 244
Seamus:

I received my T753 yesterday and all I can say is "WOW!" I hooked it up in stereo right away just to listen to it and I was very pleased that it needed no "run-in" period to sound better than what I already had. It sounded very clean, open and airy, yet very powerful, too--exactly what I have been looking for. Mated it with my vintage 1987 Kyocera CD player (still the best sounding CD player I have ever heard), and using the analog inputs, Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" has never sounded better. The same was true for Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat." I am so pleased. It did surprise me, however, as it is much larger and heavier than the previous T752 model. It is an inch taller, about three inches deeper and almost ten pounds heavier. I almost hurt myself lifting it (I don't intend to do that again!).

If you are in Switzerland, I would recommend the Dynaudio 42s, a great bookshelf monitor type that is incredibly neutral sounding and very focused. Danish made, so i would think they would be available to you. If those are out of your price range, I would highly recommend the B+W 309 floorstanders. Big improvement sonically over the Alpha Ts. I really like PSBs with NAD equipment, but I am not a big Alpha fan. Here in the States, we can get the Image line for only slightly more than the Alphas, and the Image line is so much cleaner and smoother, it is really a "no-brainer" to step up to the Images. However, since you can't get the Images, I recommend you look for the B+Ws--they should be widely available where you are. Their little brother, the 303s are also an excellent speaker, IMHO.

I hope this helps!

Seamus
Unregistered guest
... and yet another stellar performance by the experts! Thanks for the incredible advice, Hawk & Johnny.
Can't wait to get my system up and running, especially after reading Hawk's comments.

Username: Shawn_f

Post Number: 10
Hawk,

What are you running as your speakers with the NAD?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 262
Shawn:

Right now, I am using my classic Heybrook standmounts, but they will go back to the study when I decide on some new speakers. I have sold the Missions used with my Denon and I am actively looking for new speakers. I was going to get Dynaudio 42s, but when I went to the dealer last week, he had already closed them out and said he wasn't going to carry them anymore. Called Dynaudio to ask about another dealer in my area and they thought I was a nutcase suggesting my dealer had dropped them--so who knows what that is all about. Now, I don't appear to have a Dynaudio dealer within three states of where I live, so I may well have to look elsewhere--they really don't allow mail ordering of their speakers.

My speaker choice is greatly complicated by my wife who does not want large floorstanding speakers again (I used to have some wonderful DCM Time Windows from 20+ years ago and I have always regretted selling them to my father). If I could, I would get Magnepan MMGs, which are unbelievably good and not very expensive, but they are 48" tall--I don't think I can hide them from my wife.

I won't go into everything I have looked at, but strong contenders are NHT (both SB-3s and L-5s), Krix KDX speakers, and I am very intrigued by the Epos ELS-3s. Well reviewed even if I haven't heard them. I wrote Snell, ProAc and Music Hall (Epos) about a dealer near me and only ProAc responded, giving me the names of two dealers approved to do mail order from California. This is annoying as I had it all figured out with the Dynaudios, but now I am back to square one!

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 177
Great stuff, Hawk. Congratulations. I don't know which thread(s) to post this on! Enjoy you new receiver. Keep us posted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us