Difference in volume between turntables

Username: Orbz

Post Number: 1
I'm having a problem that I can't seem to account for or resolve. I've got a couple Gemini XL-500 IIs hooked into a Behringer VMX200 mixer (i doubt the specs are really relevant) and for some reason the right turntable's volume is lower than the left's. Not drastically lower, it's not something I noticed for a long time (as if they are in use I'm generally on the wrong side of them to really pick up on it) but since a couple people pointed it out I've started to realize it. I'm not sure if its the overall volume or if its partially everything but more focussed on the bass, cause it might be.

I've checked the line cables and it doesn't seem to accomplish anything to be adjusting them, and the needles/cartridges on both table are new. The thing is that I don't really know how to go about troubleshooting the problem because I'm only partly familiar with the equipment.

So can anyone offer any insight in terms of where there problem might lie and how I can go about checking more thoroughly / trying to fix it?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Are the cartridges identical?

Username: Orbz

Post Number: 2
yup, they came together

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If the cartridges are identical, then the mixer's specs may be significant. Check for input sensitvity on both phono inputs. Another possible answer may be a sub setting that knocks down the volume on one table.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 373
Or if the mixer has an MM/MC switch for each turntable, you could have one set to MM and the other to MC (in which case you'd probably want both to be set to MM).

Frank.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Not impossible, but I've never seen a mixer with a moving coil input. MC's are not the best choice for backcueing.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 379
Impossible for backcueing, true. Unlikely for the mixer to have MC, but you never know...

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Should the writer be using a MM cartidge into a MC input, I would imaging the level change between the two inputs would be pronounced enough for the user of the mixer to notice. Still, specs may be significant, check your owner's manual.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I would suggest the writer swap inputs at the mixer to put the right turntable into the left input and vice versa. Notice where the volume difference is. If the same input stays lower in level, the solution will be found in the mixer.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us