Need Help with a Pioneer PL 12D

Username: Jazzwolf

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm a Vinyl lover and have 5 turntable which are direct drive and automatic. I just bought my 6th on Ebay which is my first belt drive in a LONG time (I previously had a Dual 1249 many years ago) I love this turntable but notice that the speed is a little slower, I am sure that it is the belt because when I reach in it doesn't feel as tight as it should be. The only problem is that before I buy a belt for it I want to know how to put it in. The platter doesn't lift on it and I don't have the manual for the TT. Does anyone know how to remove the platter so that I could put a belt in? Thanks

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The platter on a 12D just lifts straight up and off. If it doesn't on your table I don't have a clue why.

Post Number: 2
After you posted that I figured damn the torepedoes and I lifted it straight up.. it seems it was stuck and after reseating the belt it sounds much better so now I am sure that it is the belt. Is this a way a belt driven turntable behaves when the belt is worn out.. a little slow?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Yes, usually the speed is not constant. Try taking some isopropyl achohol to the platter rim where the belt rides and to the belt. Dip the belt in talcum powder and shake off the excess. Reseat the belt and see what happens. You shouldn't have so much talc on the belt that it flys all over the table. You should buy a new belt anyway as belts loose their tension after awhile.

Post Number: 3
Thanks!!! I really appreciate your help, I'll buy a new belt rather than try to preserve the current belt. I'll also buy a Grado Black cartridge as the TT currently has an Audio Technica AT111 E/U . I've always wanted to buy one but since I have 3 Technics turntables which I mainly use I never bought one. I've been told that Grado cartridges are no good for Technics because they pick up the hum of the motor when the arm goes over the middle of the record. I really appreciate all your help. THANKS!!!!

Post Number: 5
Hi J.Vigne,
Just wanted to let you know that I bought a new belt and wiped the platter rim with isoproply alcohol as you recommended..WOW!!! What a difference! I turned the turntable on and it went right into speed and sounds fantastic. I am delighted, Thanks for all your help!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us