Reconsideration...and i will get this sorted!

Bronze Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 15
Theres a definate decision I'm getting the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, it's just finding a suitable amplifier.
I like the Cambridge Audio A5 which outputs 60 watts per channel but I'm not sure if it'd be any good for the diamonds. Ive got feedback that the diamonds are 100 watt per speaker not 50 watt each in the pair, so I dont want any clipping etc when using the A5 amp. I like the A5 simply because it's £120 and that's pretty much my budget.
Would you say the A5 is a good match for the 6ohm diamonds?
Upload The A5, outputs 60watts per channel at unknown ohm rating, allowing 120 watts of power to bedroom?
UploadIll have 2 of these, I guess with the potential of 100 watts each, not 50watts each?

Please, just anyone cool, give me advice and help lol...
Its about £300 of my money in total and to me its a lot because i find money very hard to save!!

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 279
I know the Diamonds and they're very easy to drive. You should not have a problem with that amp. Don't forget that the rated 'power' of a speaker is actually the maximum power they're rated to be able to take. That said, a more powerful amplifier will simply grip them better. It won't clip but, after suitable abuse, it will blow the speaker. If you use a weedy amp, then again after suitable abuse the amp will start to struggle, clip and either give up or break the speaker due to the distortion it'll be feeding it.

By the way - the Diamond 9.1s are an excellent buy. Probably the best speaker in the curent Diamond range.

Hope this helps!
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
OK thanks Frank, anyone else have anyone to say please do, I need all the help and advise I can get about my chosen speakers and amp...

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 25
Agree with Frank, the 9.1's are excellent bookshelf speakers. With a good powered subwoofer, the Audio A5 would drive the 9.1's beautifully without you worrying about distortion and clipping even at high volume. Considering the fact that the 9.1's has 5" midbass drivers, you'll need a subwoofer anyway. My 2 cents. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well I think anyone wouldn't mind having a sub along with their speakers for the complete frequency range, but its affording one and i can't! The diamonds do go down to 50hz which is still very good and will cover virtually all songs! It might be an idea to upgrade though one day, to include a sub, but till then the diamonds will be please me, im sure!

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 26
Actually, my point is having the sub to share the low frequency load will make the A5 sound much cleaner and because the A5 won't have to handle the low bass, which requires lots of power, you'll not need to worry much about clipping. Also, without a sub, the 5" drivers will easily get damaged when you play rich-bass music. You can buy a subwoofer later when you can afford 1.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Sure can, thanks Kev, Ill just use the bass control on the amp, im sure thatll be ok! Besides that I listen to rock, metal and and Indie mostly, and songs with a lot of synth in (Muse)! Not into dance crap...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us