Pioneer DV-563A analog output problem

Username: Pcorsaro

Post Number: 2
I have the Pioneer DV-563A which initially worked fine. The multichannel outputs are not working properly now. It does the same thing with both SACD and DVD-Audio. The subwoofer does not turn on. The remaining 5 speakers all operate, but instruments and vocals are missimg. It appears to be the center channel that is where the problem is. I replaced all of the cables. I believe the player is the culprit.The digital output works fine. Also, if you switch the SACD to play the stereo area of the disc,you can hear all of the instruments, but it is still playing through 5 of the speakers. Sub still does not turn on. Very strange. Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 323
Paul,
I have the 563A also and I know the speaker selection is buried in sub-menus. Burrow down and make sure all are set how you want them ie: large/small/off. Also the same speaker settings can be found on your receiver too - no? If everything is set correctly then I don't know what to tell you, maybe there is a problem with the player. Good luck.

Username: Aurora_sandman

Post Number: 5
I've got another thread on that unit, although I think I'm encountering a different problem. (Maybe you can visit that thread and tell me if you've ever had that problem: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/108710.html )

As for your issue, have you tried trying to confirm that there is indeed no audio sub signal coming from the player? For instance, run a cable from the player's sub jack straight into the sub amp?

You say all 5 speakers work (front and rear R & L, as well as center), but instrument and vocals are missing? That's really strange.

Username: Pcorsaro

Post Number: 3
Turns out the problem was my Onkyo TX-NR801 receiver. Somehow the DSP is getting stuck on when switching from a movie to mutichannel analog audio. Technically this is impossible, but I noticed the DSP light on the receiver, and thought that was odd. There is a button you can press for direct or pure audio.When I pressed that button the DSP turned off and sound got back to normal. If you try to turn on the DSP while in analog, it tells you it is not available. Somehow it is getting stuck on and it fouls up the sound completely. I took your advice and switched the center channel and sub woofer outputs from the player and found that there was output from both, but the amp was only powering the center channel,thus pinpointing the receiver.

Anonymous

5.1 analog out problems with Pioneer players
-------------------------------------------------
I have two Pioneer multi-format DVD players (Australian models, DV-655A and DV-667A, quite similar) and a small collection of SACD, SACD hybrid and DVD Audio disks. On all but one of the disks I get absolutely no signal from the rear channel analog outputs. Front channel output is fine. The problem is not the receiver as I have checked the signal from each analog output socket on both players with a small amplifier and headphones. I have also meticulously checked all the setup options and everything seems correct. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 282
Some hi-rez discs are recorded in 4.1, 3.0 or whatever. Could you name one of the albums you are experiencing problems with?

Cheers
AL

Username: Khaikosru

Australia

Post Number: 1
AL

The one album which does give rear channel output is Stretch Records SCD2-9041-2 (SACD hybrid, Chick Corea 'Rendezvous in New York'), but perhaps I am just hearing the Stereo Multi-ch track.

Examples of albums which give no rear channel output are:
DG 471 636-2 (SACD only, Strauss 'An Alpine Symphony' etc.)
Mercury 470 639-2 (SACD hybrid, Rachmaninov Piano Concertos 2 & 3 etc.)
Sony SS 89412 & SS 89413 (SACD only, Dvorak Symphonies 7, 8 & 9 etc)
EMI 4 92402 9 (DVD Audio, Walton Belshazzar's Feast, Symphony No.2 etc.)

Perhaps I should also mention that I have set the SACD option on the Pioneer initial settings menu to SACD multi-track and the DVD option to DVD Audio. The 5.1 multi-track output option is set and the speaker options selected are Front Large, Rear/surround Small, Sub-woofer Off and Centre Off. However, I have experimented with other options (e.g. Centre Large or Small) and none of this has made any difference on either player.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Brian K
Australia

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 287
Brian, I checked the Rachmaninov at http://www.mercurylivingpresence.com and it is 3.0

Here's another useful link for finding out things about SACD albums: http://www.sa-cd.net

Cheers
AL

Username: Ilinked

Shadyside, Maryland USA

Post Number: 5
I went through the same situation and almost went insane adjusting everything I could think of. I then started researching SACDs online and found that many are only recorded in 2 channels. Some SACDs list this on the cover, many don't.

Username: Khaikosru

Australia

Post Number: 2
Herb Mayher & Arnold Layne

Thank you both for the helpful information. Unclear or incomplete labelling of the number of channels recorded on each SACD turns out to be the main cause of my problem.

There is also a trap when setting up the speakers on the Pioneer players which I only picked up when I found that my centre channel setting, namely Off, kept defaulting back to Large. It turns out that when a setting is selected one has to press the Enter key on the remote to store each value. Pressing Return does not store the displayed values. This subtlety is not documented in the manuals for either of my Pioneer multi-format players (DV-655A and DV-667A).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us