Attaching phono stage to Cambridge and NAD amps - advice needed.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 144
I'm considering a phono stage for my Cambridge Audio A5.

I was wondering if there's anyone out here could point me in the best direction for my needs.

I could buy and have installed the internal one - (PM01 PRE-AMP) (£20) for the Cambridge, or I've seen on offer a Vivanco PA111 outboard stage for the same price, which might save me money on the installation of the internal one.

My question is, is there a great advantage to spending a little more and getting the outboard Cambridge Audio 540P? Would it be that much better than the internal PM01 ?

Also - if I were to replace my CA A5 with a NAD 320BEE - would the CA 540P be a good choice to use as a phono stage, as the NADs no longer seem to fit them internally?

Any help appreciated.

V

Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 10
Varney

Ref my other post.

When I orginally purchased the Camnbridge 640a i bought the 540p also. In the end I changed the amp for the C352, and can report it works very well indeed. How can I measure this? Well Ive changed my CD player from Sherwood CD5010R to the NAD C542, but have not changed my TT or cartridge. The gap between vinyl in terms of detail and imaging (what I would call technical sound) is less than it was, so I can only assume this to be as a result of a better phono stage.

Hi-Fi Choice Jan 05 has given NAD's £50 phono pre-amp a silver award, just to make your decision easier :-) (I havent heard it). The 540p was £40 from Richer sounds. There is a possiblity that an off board phono stage has some sonic benefits over an in built one, so its worth paying the £40 for the 540p than having it plumbed into the amp for £20. Oh, and of course £40 for a decent set of interconects.....

Gordie
Unregistered guest
Have to say, I have just given up using my Teac AX-3000, due to the dials failing after 10 years and have moved on to a Cambridge Azur 640A, with a Azur 540P pre-amp for vinyl. To be honest, I am disappointed with the lack of bass frequency on some records using the pre-amp. I'd go as far as saying that it is an insult to the intelligence of vinyl enthusiasts. I picked these up from Richer Sounds (£250 for the amp and £40 for the pre-amp). I am now seriously looking into trying to find an equivalent amp to the old Teac, with the pre-amp built in, and returning the cambridge Azur 640A amp. It's a disgusting thought that companies like Cambridge and Nad (and also sales staff at Richer Sounds) now seem to treat vinyl buyers like myself as second-class citizens. I feel insulted and let-down.

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 147
Hi Ca_

Thankyou for that. I'm really pleased to hear you actually did what I was thinking of doing, albeit with the C352, as opposed to the 320BEE! Encouraging thoughts. However, I wonder where I can obtain the NAD equivalent, however - for £50, as you suggest?

But then, Gordie - I am sorry to read about your disapointment and thank you also for sharing your honest opinion with me. I hope you find what you are looking for in the TEAC. They are nice amps indeed.

Now it's interesting, because I once tried a CA A1 when my old Technics stack blew. I hated it. It sounded weak and (emaciated?) Yes, actually - very thin. What made me buy the A5 was the fact that my holiday flat in Whitby has an A5 paired with the Gale 3030s. I always loved that sound and made sure I always took a large wad of CDs whenever I went up. Naturally, I just went to Richer's and bought the exact same setup so I could enjoy it at home. However, I find it's only a minor improvement (in that it's a little smoother) over my old NAD 3225PE, which I find really hard to beat.

I wouldn't however, blame Richer for the way vinyl lovers are treated, although I do agree with you it's hard to find new vinyl kit which is really worth the money these days. Richer's job is really only to stock and resell at the best prices they can. It would not surprise me to find the 540P a bit of a let down when compared with much more expensive stages, however. I'm really stuck with this CA A5 not doing much other than powering a pair of 6-ohm Mini-Monitors upstairs, while the NAD does the real work in the sitting room. This strategy is designed really to get the CA where it's needed - down there with the Gales and the Ariston TT. I don't think the Ariston paricularly special, but thought the 540P might make up for a few things. The pre-stage in the NAD sounds very nice to me though.

Well, that's given me food for thought. But can I ask you one thing, Gordie -
Do you think the weakness was with the Azur products in general, or with the phono stage itself? I've heard other people say they were not overly impressed with CA's Azur range.

Thanks again,

V

Gordie
Unregistered guest
Hi Varney, and thanks!! Personally, I think the only fault is with the 540P pre-amp - the amp itself seems fine. I wonder if I should try out a 640P, which has filters for Moving Coil and Moving Magnet cartridges? Now there's a thought....

Gordie
Unregistered guest
Hi Varney, and thanks. Personally, I think only the 540P pre-amp is at fult; the 640 Amplifier itself is fine.

Having said that, Cambridge do a 640P pre-amp which has filters for Moving Coil and Moving Magnet cartridges. Maybe I should try one out before reconsidering? Now there's a thought.....

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 150
I don't know.... If you're anything like me, once I had a Sony product fall apart on me, I decided never to buy from them again.

I always think that if you like a product which sits nearer the 'lower end' of the range, then your expectations will more or less be fulfilled and excelled the higher up the range you buy into. It may be that you do not like Cambridge products - and I don't altogether blame you for that.

Regards,

V

Bronze Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 12
Interesting experience Gordie.

I can say for sure that the 540p is a better phone pre-amp than my old NAD 3130.

I doubt the 640p stage will sound any better since it is designed for MM and MC cartridges. My guess is that there is additional circuitry and therefore switching in the 640p which may actually make it worse sounding than the 540p...simpler the better.
the sound Gordie is describing is that which i found with the 640 amp, its quite a lean bass light presentation.

Varney, I'm sure the NAD PP2 (RRP £55) is available probably from Richer sounds as well as any other NAD dealer. It won a silver award in Hi-Fi News 2004 awards (apologies I mislead you its not Hi-Fi Choice) so I would wager it sounds pretty good for the money through a 320BEE or a 352.

Mathyou78
Unregistered guest
I'm on the verge of up-grading my 5 year old entry level Sony Amp and CD player for something else, and have been looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur 640 range and the NAD C352CT amp with C521 BEE CD player from Richer Sounds. Just wondering if anyone has experienced either or both of these and could offer advice. I'll be using them with a Project Debut 3 turntable and Mordaunt Short 902's and a Mordaunt Short 308 sub.

Matt

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 158
Thanks, Ca_.

Yes, I did manage to locate the NAD phono stage - actually at a dealer other than Richer, so I was quite impressed to see it weigh in at only £50, as you originally said.

I have always made Richer my first stop for upgrades - because of the price only. I inquired only this morning as to how much the BEE would cost from another dealer today and the price was surpisingly short of Richer's so called 'TSP' (of £219). With Richer, you only really save something like £21 which in my opinion, is a small price to pay for making sure it's a black (battleship grey) one. I doubt they can supply you with anything but 'trendy silver' these days. Yuk!

V

Bronze Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 15
Mathyou, if you search the threads in here over the last 4 weeks or so you will read many opinions on both. I suggest you aslo check epinions.com etc etc since they can help. Best bet is go find a dealer who will let you listen. Unfortunately, you cant do this with azur gear in the UK as its sold thru richer sounds, but you can return within 14 days and exchange it. You could of course buy the lot, and return whct you dont want within 14 days for a full refund (I did this and its a great way since you can check the gear in your own home) so long as your credit card can take it!

Varney, I have all titanium finish and it looks inferior to classic NAD grey I agree.
If you get the PP2 I'd love to hear you opinion.

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 159
I'm building up to it, Ca_. I have decided to search out a used amp manufatured between mid-late 90s and early 00s - NAD have made great stuff since they began. My logic is there must be some more than adequate amps made between tbe 3020 series and the BEE model, which would suit my purposes. That's what I'll use the PP2 with probably.

I said earlier in another thread - have you ever been aqaunted with the 319?

Regards,

V

Bronze Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 16
No I havent sorry.

The PE series of late 80's and early nineties were good value in their day. The Power Envelope being the precourser to Power Drive of todays models
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us