Top-tier DVD-A player from 2001/02 worth buying?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 303
Hi all,

I have been looking to get into DVD-A for a while, but without spending a fortune. The problem with some cheap models is the lack of bass management.

I see the Kennwood Sovereign DV-5700 sells for about US$150 now. I think it came out in 2001 and sold in 2002 for US$950 retail or so. It plays DVD-A but not SACD, has bass management but with fixed frequency of 100 Hz (a bit high for me). It has Faroudja deinterlacing, but I don't have an HDTV display so that don't matter that much. It's also a multi-disk changer, a feature I would actually prefer not having because of the extra hassle in changing DVDs.

Would you recommend such a purchase compared to today's cheap DVD-A/SACD players? I assume such an upscale model would have good build quality and last a long time.

I currently have a Pioneer DV-333 (C$300 in december 2000), an h/k avr-325 receiver, Klipsch La Scala (mains), Klipsch Heresy (center), Nuance (large floorstanders, as rears) Hsu STF-3 sub, non-HD Samsung 53" RPTV (from 2001).

Thanks!
Peter

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1251
No - to forgo SACD is a mistake IMHO.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 304
Hi My rantz,

Are there really many titles only available in SACD?

What low cost player would you recommend?

Thanks,
Peter

Gold Member

Post Number: 1254
Peter,

I have the Denon DVD-2900 which I think is outstanding so I can't really recommend any low cost players although Larry R has a new Yamaha universal player (1500 I think but better check on the old dogs thread) which he recommends and the early Pioneer universal player is quite good - the 563A I think, which Kegger recommends along with his Denon DVD-2200.

Go to http://acousticsounds.com and you will see a very good selection of SACD's, which I believe far outnumber DVD-A titles at present. I find it's very hard to tell which is the better format when comparing the best titles I have in both. I just believe that having DVD-A only shortens your prospective playing list.

It depends on your speakers but 100hz may be a little high but better than what some players offer. I find the fixed 80hz xover suitable for mine though the variable crossovers in the more expensive new models would be good to play around with.

Remember the fact that you usually get what you pay for. While there are certainly bargains to be had, a good source is a prerequisite to good sound.

Good luck with it.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 301
The DV-563A/565A is a nice machine for what it costed. But BM is it's Akilles heel - crossover is ridiculously high. 120 or 200 Hz for Hi-rez formats.

On the other hand, BM is not necessarly an issue. My surrounds and sub cross at 100Hz, but I never use player BM. It's OK for me and for most of my hi-rez discs.

Besides, activating BM for SACD brings about conversion DSD -> PCM. Which might downgrade the sound.

Hasta pronto
AL

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 305
It was my limited understandings that using bass management on the DV-563A caused conversion to PCM, but that this wasn't the case for most higher cost players. Have I mis-understood? Is it not possible to use bass management at all on any player and get the "big sound improvement" associated with these high resolution formats?

I was happy with my speakers without a sub for years, but since I have acquired a sub there's no going back. My mains roll off at 53 Hz (at -3 dB; 45Hz at -5dB) and a sub really adds to the music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1259
Peter,

Your understanding is correct. With the Denon DVD-2900 there is bass management for both DVD-A and SACD without any cross conversion so the DSD signal is pure, however the speaker delay settings do not apply to SACD so all the speakers should be placed as close as possible to equal distances from the listening position.

With the newer models, speaker delay settings apply not only to DVD-A but also SACD but in this instance, the DSD signal is converted to PCM. For the SACD purists (and I would be one) the option to void the speaker delay settings for SACD (or for pure DSD playback) is offered in the set up. I'm not sure about other brands.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 302
MR, are you really sure there is digital BM in DSD domain in the Denon? I've heard industry is not capable of implementing this. Please let us know.

Thanks
AL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1261
Arnold,

Absolutely - with the 2900 the bass management applies to both DVD-A and SACD with no cross/down conversion of the DSD signal. However, the speaker delay settings apply only to DVD-A (and DD and DTS of course) and is void when SACD is selected.

With the newer models, (2910 & 3910) I believe the speaker delay settings can be applied to both DVD-A and SACD but the DSD signal is converted to PCM. This can be voided for pure DSD playback for SACD's.

I think the confusion arises because many consider speaker delay settings as part of the overall bass management application.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/DenonDVD-2900-reviewp1.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us