Marantz opinion

john pike
Unregistered guest
I am about to pull the trigger and get a Marantz 7500, but before I do, i wanted to get some input to make me feel certain about my purchase.

Here is what I am looking for in a receiver --
Dual Zone
Min 3 component inputs
Using it about 50-50 Home Theater and Music
Sound great w/ my B&W speakers

Others I am considering:
HK7300
Rotel 1056 -- doesnt give me the Multizone but maybe I could get a separate amp later :-) , but I have listened to B&W's w/ this and sounds great and cant afford the 1067
Denon 3805
NAD753
Yamaha 2500

Obviously the most important feature is the way its going to sound w/ my speakers. I am more concerned w/ great music than Home Theater even though I will be using it for both a lot. I prefer a warm sounding speaker.

Username: Dgurjala

Post Number: 4
Posting on this same topic on another thread... :-) Just wondering where you are planning your purchase and what kind of deal you've found. thank you.

john pike
Unregistered guest
I am probably going to buy from my local dealer. I wont get as good of a price, but I love the people and the store. I feel the time and service they have given to me is worth something even if it isnt necessarily the best deal. I also know they will stand behind their product if I have problems or if I decide i need something else. I have spend many o hours in their store listening to speakers and various electronics. I have learned a tremendous amount from them. I was just wanting to get a little more input before I bought.

Username: Pteshallow

Post Number: 4
Check out my review on the Pioneer VSX54TX....its a pretty "warm receiver" the highs arent strained at all....even at very high volume levels.

Anonymous

I recently picked up a NAD 753 and love it.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckcrazy

Post Number: 62
i have the pioneer elite 54 sounds great for music on B&w now i upgraded to Nad T763 it is amazing so check it out i had considered marantz and Hk too but the sound of nad got me.

schouse13
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased the SR7500. I have it matched with Klipsch speakers. So far it's been great. I am still in the process of getting the whole set up tweaked just like I want it. The only review online I was able to find was positive. It is located at

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2004/11/marantz_sr7500.html

I also considered the Yamaha 2500. There is a good review of it at audioholics.com. Yamaha's web page also has a link to it. Good luck!

Anonymous

Baldev

What B&W series are pairing your T763. I learned that NAD receivers are neutral (lesser bass) and B&Ws are on the neutral side. So, may I know what kind of sound your system has? Does it have the punch? What about the highs. Does your system plays alternative rock, pop and jazz beautifully? What about movies.
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckcrazy

Post Number: 65
ok here is my setup 603 601 and lcr600 it has amazing sound with NAD 763 movies rock, music is alive i do not think B&W are on the neutral side. actually i find them to be a little forward and detailed only problem i had with them when paired with eilite was that centre was some time muffled so changed to Nad that fixed it.
Actually i found that Nad is one of the rare units that can blend in with any pair of speakers as in the demo room i auditioned them with martin logans boston acoustics and Jmlabs and at my home with B&w and i could not find any negatives with any pairing i had listened to some pop and rock music along with pearl harbour movie and this unit rocked thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Portugal

Post Number: 129
"Actually i found that Nad is one of the rare units that can blend in with any pair of speakers as in the demo room i auditioned them with martin logans boston acoustics and Jmlabs and at my home with B&w and i could not find any negatives with any pairing i had listened to some pop and rock music along with pearl harbour movie and this unit rocked thanks."

That's true, I would only add Marantz, Rotel and Arcam to the that rank...

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 291
John

Does your dealer deal with either NAD or Arcam? These are more musical receivers than any of the above apart from the Rotel, which comes in at about the same musical level as the NAD. As you'll see from other threads, there are question marks over the background hiss levels from NAD equipment but in the music stakes the NAD is only beaten by Arcam at this level in my view. The Arcams are very musical and suit B&Ws very well indeed, as well as being superb surround sound amps.

The Rotel is a fine amplifier which suits B&W too - in fact Rotel/B&W is a well known combination. The Rotels are very well made with absolutely no niggles as well as offering a good musical performance, but with your high musical hopes I would really look at an Arcam AVR250 if at all possible (which does Zone 2 too).

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1264
John,

I've used our SR 7300 every day for over a year now and I can only state that I believe it is very musical and dependable. It was a choice between Marantz and NAD but with all the reported problems at the time I was too nervous about buying into NAD even though they do sound wonderful. If the SR-7500 has the options you want and sounds good with your B&W's then I'd say go for it unless you have the money for the higher end stuff.

I use JBL XTI-60's for mains, B&W LCR 6-S2 center, JBL S3611's wall mounts for rears and a Richter Krakatoa Sub. My main source is a universal Denon DVD-2900. IMHO, the sound and performance of this set-up is quite amazing. I think I would have to spend a heck of a lot of money for any improvement and that would minimal IMHO.

Good Luck

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 57
Whats IMHO?

My Rantz what other receivers did you use for the your JBLs? and what receiver would you recomend for an inter JBL system HT?
Around 1200us

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
Cory,

None - the JBL's came soon before the SR-7300. For a month or two before they were hooked to a Yamaha Integrated amp which was hooked to a 3 channel Yamaha processor. Also, as I'm from Aus it's a bit hard for me to recommend anything as I am clueless on prices in Canada and the US.

Cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1268
Oh and IMHO means In my honest opinion :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1269
or humble opinion!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 65
thanks for the info But one thing how did the jbls sound on the yamaha? i wanted to get the yamaha 1500/2500 but people say its going to be bright and that I should go with H/K, marantz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1271
Our JBL's are from the XTi range which I believe are not available in north America. They are made in Europe and sold there and Australasia. I don't believe they as bright as other JBL models but the Yamaha components are on the bright side, though I believe the later models you mentioned are better than the past ones.

From what many have said in this forum I do believe the JBL's would be better with the warmer receivers you mentioned.

As to how our JBL's sounded with the Yamaha stereo amp - not bad, a bit forward. With the Marantz sr-7300 they do sound wonderful.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 69
could you please explain to me what Xti is?
im guessing thats its a model right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1273
Yup!

FYI

http://international.jbl.com/home/products/series.asp?SerId=XTI&language=ENGLISH

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 73
do you think its wirth the money to get a jbl synthesis HT(only the speakers)http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HT4-L7&Langua ge=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

and power them off of a H/K 630. I also see that you have the E series also but is it only avalible in that color?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1281
Cory,
I have not heard the other JBL's so I could not advise. Cheers

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 83
Have you ever heard of diy projectors?

Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 3
Im still wondering which of the modern receivers will compliment my old Cerwin Vega D-9 front speakers the best.

Yea, yea.....I know the audiophiles cringe when they hear the name, but that's what I have and they're not going anywhere.

My vegas woofers needed reconing, so lately I've done a lot of speaker shopping, and nothing in the stores looked or sounded good to me. Everything sounded as if they only covered half of the audio spectrum(including subs), and had no bottom end. Yea, I'll concede that new stuff is better quality, but I cant stand how everything has gone 'small'. I dont listen to jass or instrumentals, and dont have the audiophiles ear. Plus I rarely play music, so speakers that pass a music enthusists audiophile test while listening to a string quartet isnt what I'm looking for. Big tall skinny towers that look narrow and light enough that my 3 year old son could tip over dont fit my eye. Im suprised that none of the big retailers sell large heavy front speakers anymore. I want a big 100lb+ behomiths with minimum of 15" woofers that each go down to 24hz or lower and they simply dont exist unless you want to pay $5,000 or more from a high end speaker manufacturer. Interestingly I found a couple subs that were close, but they didnt produce the desired effect...IMO.

Anyway, my frustrating shopping spree came up empty(as you can see), and instead of buying new speakers, I ended up paying to have my old Vegas Reconed. I just cant stand the Idea of subs, and feel larger speakers that dont require them should be available in the mid-price market.

I realize that I probably come off as a music neanderthal, but I only use my surround system for movies, and I combed everywhere, and nothing came close to my 20 year old behemoths. As you can tell , the whole experience has been frustrating for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us