Yamaha RX-V750 vs Pioneer VSX1014

Unregistered guest
Both seem to have the features I want including the auto setup and upcomponent conversion. Yamaha has had some nice reviews vs none for the Pioneer that I can find. However I got to peek under the hood of the VSX-1014 and the Elite 52... the amplifier sections seems the same to me.. although there are some differences elsewhere. The review of the Elite 52 was very positive and the amp section seems very realistically rated in that it will put out it's rated power into all channels simultaneously. Not sure that THX cert brings that much to the party. Also I have not really picked out speakers either.. thinking of Gallo micros or orb audio... but no firm decision yet. This is for a rather large bedroom. Any thoughts appreciated. -Rick

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 981
The 1014 is better than the RX-V1500 so between those two I think it's an easy choice.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 209
I think the RX-v1500 is better than the Pioneer 1014 in every way except two channel music. Much better feature set as well as much better ergonomics and remote.

Unregistered guest
Bleustar, ergonomics and remote are definitely factors but those factors diminish as the cost differential goes up and the differences are not too great. I will have to check that out further. Main question would be what are those features that the RX-V1500 has that the Pioneer does not... and are they useful? Thanx -Rick

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1014
I won't get too much into this debate except to say that if receiver A is better at two channel music than receiver B that makes it better to me as two channel music is by far the single most important factor. I have yet to hear any receiver that didn't do a decent job on movies. It's music that makes a receiver stand out from the rest. This is meant as a general statement and not a commnet on these two models.

Anonymous

Def the Yamaha. They are always good with audio!

Unregistered guest
I will be primarily using it for movies in a bedroom. I have a seperate system for music (Bryston, Sonus Faber). Having said that I would like the ability to play music occasionally esp DVD-Audio and SACDs. Thanx for the input. I did find a link to a German magazine review of the 1014 and I think that has sealed the deal for me. Thanx for everyones input though!!!

Unregistered guest
I will be primarily using it for movies in a bedroom. I have a seperate system for music (Bryston, Sonus Faber). Having said that I would like the ability to play music occasionally esp DVD-Audio and SACDs. Thanx for the input. I did find a link to a German magazine review of the 1014 and I think that has sealed the deal for me. Thanx for everyones input though!!!

Anonymous

A review of both the Pioneer 1014 and the Yamaha 1500
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/PDFs/Reviews/Dec_04_WhatHiFi_RXV1500.pdf

Unregistered guest
I saw that. The Nov issue had the 2014 at 5 stars. Also in the US the Pioneer is a good $200+ cheaper in the US than the competitors mentioned here. I have this issue of What HiFi and the Denon 2805 wins the test. One of the German home cinema magazines rated the Pioneer 6 stars as well and were saying it competes well with recievers priced some 200 Eur to 500 Eur higher. I think there are a lot of really really good recievers out there ... I just think for the price in the US the 1014 is an excellent if not the best deal on a very good reciever going right now, not the best reciever out there though as there are many that are better. -Rick

Unregistered guest
Let me say this i purchased this vsx 1014 in October
has been in the shop ever since.A chip bwent bad and
quess what will not have any till febuary of 2005.No
one can help have called every week for a month.Al they have to do is send a new one but will not.Any suggetions will help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1029
Ebo,
Sorry to hear about your problem. Unusual to say the least. I do not understand who it is you are refering to and who you are dealing with about this. The dealer? Pioneer? If you are just going through your dealer and since it has been in repair since October it seems likely you are not getting the service you should. I suggest if you have not done so you call Pioneer[800-pioneer] and talk to them in detail about this. Several years ago I had the same issue with a dealer and a Onkyo receiver and after 16 weeks I called Onkyo and they looked into my problem and it was discovered that the dealer sent the receiver to the wrong repair place and Onkyo got it and had it repaired and returned to me within a week. Maybe you have already talked to Pioneer but if not call them immediately.

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 28
When I contact Pioneer by email because of conflicting statements on the forum and ask a question about DACs and they reply and say they cannot respond by email and to call them and I call them and they are unable to tell me what DACs are in the receiver I am at a loss to understand. Denon states on their website what they have in theirs. It is pretty bad you can!t find out that information for a customer. I think there are two options here either you are trying to hide something or you have not got your act together as a company at all. My brief experience with Pioneer customer service has been disappointing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1031
I understand your frustration and I hate all these automated phone systems with a passion. I have had generally good luck with Pioneer on the phone but it all depends on who you talk to there. I had a question about the dacs in my Elite 45 and my dealer got ahold of his Pioneer rep and then received a fax from the head of the engineering dept in California. That receiver uses A-K dacs. I can't remember the exact name and my copy of the fax is in my desk drawer at work but it is the same dac used by Rotel, so it's a quality dac. I can't say what is in the 1014 however and I doubt it's the same as regular Pioneer's and Elite's use totally different internal components. As to Denon they have not always stated this on their site either. A few years ago I wondered what dsp chip was in my 2802 and I had to call Denon to find out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Not to be abrasive but I will point out I spoke to a live person at Pioneer and they transferred me not an automated system. I have sent another email asking Pioneer, do you not know what parts are in the receivers you make or are you trying to hide something.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I just think it is funny that they list them for some of the receivers and not others. Sorry for going on about this, I won!t bring it up again unless I get an answer from the company.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us