Help with a receiver for B&Ws

Jim Mittica
Unregistered guest
Hi folks. A newbie here, enjoying the forum and learning. I'm in the process of identifying components for a modest home theater and would appreciate input on a receiver from any and all. I've listened to quite a few speakers and will probably go with B&W (DM602 S3's for front, LCR60 S3 for center, either CCM65's or 80s in my ceiling for surrounds and the ASW600 for the subwoofer). I know the surrounds in the ceiling are not ideal, but it's a compromise I'm having to make. The receiver will have to be in the $500 to $600 range, e.g., Denon AVR 1804, Integra DTR 5.4, Marantz SR5400, Onkyo TX-SR601, Yamaha RX-V740, etc. I know enough to try to listen to each of these receivers with the B&Ws, but you all know how difficult that can be. So, which receivers are most compatable with B&W speakers for accurately reproduced sound that's not overly bright and not too "warm?" Whatever receiver I get will probably be matched with one of that company's DVD players. Any other recommendations? My room is 18 x 18 x 12 high. My use will be 60% home theater, 40% music. Thanks for any advice.

[I previously posted this to a thread already in progress. My apologies.]

Rosco P Coltrane
Unregistered guest
Very knowledgable salesperson suggested I go with Onkyo with B&W. (He actually suggested Integra, but conceded that Onkyo would be almost as good.)

Username: Edison

Post Number: 294
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/Img/shop_banner1.gif

You might want to hear this digital amp - receiver actually, but has this new digital technology and sounds clean and smooth. You can hear an inferior version xr25 at Bestbuy or Good guys.

Some people are replacing their expensive units with this.

Other ones you might consider are NAD, and onkyo 800 and above. They were both well received by a www.hifichoice.co.uk The 800 won the best under $1000 in a magazine.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/onkyo-tx-sr800-receiver-4-2003.html

Jim Mittica
Unregistered guest
Roscoe,
Did you go with the Onkyo and the B&W's? If so, how do they sound together?

Thanks, James, but NAD and Onkyo 800/above are out of my price range. I tried the first link in your posting and all I got was a Yahoo banner. What digital receiver are you referring to?

Username: Blind_bat

Post Number: 1
Hi Jim

I've just upgraded from my old 5.1 Denon AVR1801 to the Marantz SR5400 receiver, and although I'm still sitting with my old Jamo classic 4's as mains and AE centre and Wharfedale surrounds / Yamaha SW-800 sub, I'm most likely going to look at the 600 series from B&W. I've spoken to quite a few dealers here in Johannesburg, SA, and it's close between the B&W's or the MA Silver series, but from what I've listened to, the conbination of the slightly laidback, but warmer Marantz with the Nautilus / Kevlar B&W speaker driver combo gives quite a warm, but not too bright sound. I personally would go for the DM602S3's for mains, LCR60 centre, 601's rear, as I've heard the 602.5's, which too me were a bit too laidback and they're costing the same as 602's with nice stands.
The 602's have a slightly fuller bass (In my opinion) as I listen to a lot of rock and fusion.
I bought the Marantz because I prefered it's musicality above the choices I had of the Denon AVR1804, Yamaha RXV-640 and Pioneer VSX-D812.
Hope this helps
Carl

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 63
Jim:

A new NAD 743 would be an excellent choice for your B+Ws and can be had from Elegant Audio Video for $565, and I can guarantee you it will sound much nicer than an Onkyo 601 or Denon 1804. My second choice would be a Marantz 5400, which can also be had for under $600.

Good luck!

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 42
Elegant Audio isn't an authorized NAD dealer. I'd pay the difference (which is $50+/-) to Saturday Audio just for the fact that they are.

Jim Mittica
Unregistered guest
Thanks fellas. With your help and the help of some other folks on another forum, I've narrowed the field down to Denon and NAD. Now I will have to make a concerted effort to listen to each of them with the B&W's. I have decided to make one change -- from a B&W sub to an SVS, maybe the PB1-ISD. Thanks again!

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 71
Jeff:

I am a bit surprised as Elegant usually posts a message when they are not an authorized dealer (like on their Yamaha page), but I have no reason to doubt you. I certainly agree that Saturday Audio, which I have been very impressed with, is a fine source for NAD (and other) products.

Jim:

I would also recommend Kief's (www.kiefs.com), which is also an authorized dealer, which offers the 743 for $559, I believe. And, as a Denon owner, I would tell you to get the NAD. It sounds so much better.

I heartily endorse the purchase of an SVS sub over the B+W--it is a better sub IMHO. You might also check out a Hsu sub at www.hsuresearch.com. Great stuff.

Anonymous

I just bought B&W 603s, 601s and LCR600 with Rotel 1065 receiver. This is really excellent combination. I am really impressed with the sound I am hearing for both music and movies.

Sam of Chicago
Unregistered guest
Jim Mittica:

Don't get me wrong; but I wonder how you narrowed down to the Denon and NAD. In my unbiased and experienced opinion after listening to all B&W series including the latest 700 series I would suggest ONLY two recievers for your B&Ws. The NAD or the Marantz. Denon would be my THIRD choice only if you are getting it at a throw away price. "For your ears only", I'd advise you to listen to a NAD or Marantz with the B&Ws before you start flashing your checkbook.

Check the NAD743 and Marantz 5400 to be on budget. ALSO, instead of checking prices online, I would call a bunch of authorized NAD or Marantz dealers and ask if they have display/open units and take a qoute and then walk into a local store and ask their TOP guy (usually the owner) what his best price would be if you were to buy it NOW. Saturday Audio in Chicago and Sound and Vision in Orland Park (near Chicago) are two places where I got great breaks on floor/display models (with full factory warranties from day of purchase). Just tell them your friend recently bought it for $xyz and you were also offered this model for $xyz and most likely (after a thought) they will accept it!!!....purchasing my friend...is an art!!..........lolol

Jim Mittica
Unregistered guest
Sam - Perhaps my logic to an audiophile may seem illogical, but here was my thought process: From what I've read on several AV forums, the brands most paired with B&W's are Rotel, NAD and Marantz. The few folks I found that had B&Ws with Denon really liked the combination; there just weren't many of them. Well, I can't afford Rotel, so that eliminated that. I've heard Marantz with B&W's and it sounded pretty good, but I just didn't like the look and feel of the Marantz. I really liked the look and feel of the Denon -- it seemed like it was well made and I've read numerous glowing reviews on the AVR-2803 as well as some of their other equipment. I also liked the look and feel of the NAD, but that was early on in my research and I can't recall what speakers I heard with it. I'm in Baton Rouge and the closest dealer is in New Orleans. I'll make it back over there in a few days. Anyway, that's how I narrowed it down. It may not be how an audiophile would've done it, but I'm just on old coot who hasn't been around audio gear since I built my Dynaco Stereo 120 amplifier and PAT-4 preamp from kits and paired them with AR2ax bookshelf speakers. Now that, my friend, was a long time ago (late 60's?).

Anyway, I'm always open to advice; that's why I posted here. And yours is appreciated.

Anonymous

Since Rotel 1065 is being discontinued, I got mine at 20% off from an authorized dealer. There might be some more left in the market.

Anonymous

I'm considering a similar system. I love the look of the NAD and have heard great things. Saturday Audio has the 742 for about $450. I can get an open box Marantz 5300 for 100 bucks cheaper than that NAD. Not sure which to go with? Will the NAD be worth the difference?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us