Pioneer DV 565a SACD playback problem

Bronze Member
Username: Logos

Kopavogur, IS Iceland

Post Number: 15
Well folks I have been trying the Azur allot and have found a strange problem with my Pioneer DV 565a SACD / DVD-audio players. I have 5 JBL speakers but no subwoofer which hasn't been a problem yet since the JBL have plenty of bass. The Pioneer player is connected to the Azur with the 5.1 analog RCA plugs, The speakers set up in the player is set to subwoofer off and the Azur amp has the subwoofer off also. And playing DVD-audio disks I get a very good sound. But when I played Dark Side of the moon (SACD disk 5.1) I found the bass just disappear. I have checked if the player is sending out a signal from the sub out plug during SACD playback but it has no audio coming from it. Then I found out if I set the Pioneer player to 2 channels setting then the full sound came back no matter if I was playing the 5.1 audio, 2 channels SACD or the normal CD area. But if I set the player back to the 5.1 setting (sending out the 5.1 analog outputs) then the bass disappeared again no matter if I was using the 2 channel SACD are or the 5.1 SACD area. This is the same no matter if I am playing other SACD disks which are only 2 channel sterio, hybrid or not and 5.1.

So my question is:
Is the Pioneer DV 565 a crappie SACD player when set to 5.1 or is this normal for SACD generally? Or is this maybe somthing else?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2207
How many SACD's have you tried?

Bronze Member
Username: Logos

Kopavogur, IS Iceland

Post Number: 16
I have tried Peter Gabriel, Passion 2 ch stereo only, Up (peter Gabriel both playing the 2 ch and 5.1) Dark side of the moon (playing both 5.1 and 2ch). The sound becomes normal when I set the analog output on the player to 2ch only instead of 5.1 outputs. Then no matter if I am playing the 5.1 area (down mixed then of course for 2 ch through the left right analog out) or 2 ch area. And again this is only happening with SACD. I have other SACD disk that i will try.

Bronze Member
Username: Wavelength

Post Number: 18
I have the Pioneer 578A and have also had bass management issues. On some DVD-A's if I set the rears to small I get distortion - set them to large and everything is fine. I guess my point is don't expect too much from these low-end Pioneer universal players. However your situation sounds intolerable and I would expect a replacement if I was you.

BTW - if you're into 5.1 I highly recommend getting a subwoofer. You will be amazed what it adds - especially if you are pleased with the other speakers that you already have. My sub was the speaker that completed my 5.1 setup and it just knocked me out when I fired it up.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 449
SACD edition of Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms is a disc with more bass, if you happen to have it. But I too recommend getting a sub. The less bass management employed the better. And you ease the burden for mains speakers.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Ztkavc

Post Number: 14
I have Pioneer DV-565A (modded) and it behaves as you described. Player has too simple (flawed) bass management system.
You can overcome this problem by setting all speakers to large. You should always use large speaker settings.
BTW:
DV-565(3) is nice player. With modifications it really shines. One should at least put some weight on top of the player to dampen it. With dampening players case alone you get amazing results.
For modifications look at: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24449&perpage=10&highl ight=&pagenumber=1

Username: Corduroy79

Post Number: 1
I too have had problems with my DV-578 dvd/SACD player when it comes to getting a bass signal to my subwoofer when playing a SACD disk. I always though that it was just my player, sounds like everyone elses player has this problem. I even thought about taking it in to get fixed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us