Recommendation for speakers below $1000

Anonymous

I am looking for main speakers for about (not exceeding) $1000 with excellent soundstaging and bass for the price range.
I will use them for 60% music and 40% HT.The receiver will almost surely be marantz 73/7400.

Bronze Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 163
My vote for that price would be the Monitor Audio Silver 6. Lists for $999pr and a perfect match with the Marantz recievers.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 156
Another speaker to listen to with excellent bass is the Definitive Technology 2006TL that lists at $599 each. You should be able to get a pair under $1,000. It has a built-in self-powered subwoofer and is bi-polar for very large soundstage.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.
One more question. I can also get PSB Stratus Bronze for about $900.
how does it compare with the MA silver S6.Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 51
My vote is for Paradigm Studio 40 version 3's. Great soundstage and incredible bass for it's size... A top notch speaker. I have the Studio 20's, size restrictions didn't allow me to go to the 40's.....

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 170
The PSB's and Paradigm's are both excellent speakers but not as good a match with Marantz as the Monitors. I have heard all 3 combinations and the Marantz/Monitor was more dynamic and exciting and just plain more fun to listen to. I say this only because of your plan to buy the Marantz. If you were buying another brand I would probably have a different response. The Def Tech's would go well with the Marantz also but for my money I'd go with the Monitors. If you do listen to the Silver 6 you should keep in mind that they will need at least 60 hours or so of break in time to sound their best and if new can be a bit bright but that goes away completely with the right receiver/amp and Marantz is one of the right brands for Monitors. I do love the others mentioned here, in fact these are my favorite brands and by far the best in my area, Monitors being first. Good luck and remember to take your own music/movies with you when you audition these speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 165
A speaker that I think is quite superb, and I have heard it driven by a Marantz 7300, is the NHT ST-4. It is a tower speaker, with a 1" dome tweeter, 6.5" midrange and an 8" side-firing woofer. MSRP is $1K per pair, but I have priced them for under $800. They sound superb, with a very smooth top end and a well defined soundstage that is easily one of the very best I have heard in that price range. With the 8" woofer, you get excellent bass, as well. Makes an excellent combo with the Marantz receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us