Need help pairing reciever/speakers

Mostly Clueless Wonderer
Unregistered guest
I've recently bought a Marantz SR-8000 reciever, and am looking for a pair of speakers(and subwoofer?) (more later, but funds are rather limited for now) that will complement the laid-back Marantz nicely. Most input comes from either radio or a Denon 5-disc changer.

The primary use of this system is home listening in a fairly large room, to music with a wide range of frequencies. (Rock to Classical and all points in between)

Now the problem: This is one of the first systems I've built, and I've only got 400$ (or so...) to apply here.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MCW
Unregistered guest
If that is far too little for an acceptable speaker set, that's a perfectly fine comment... again, I need advice here.

Thanks,

Vincent

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 12
check out av123. They have a set-up called the rocket-elt. the speakers (bookshelf) are 249 a pair, the center is 249, and the sub is 299. You can't do a sub and the speakers for your budget, but if you look in the "B-stock" section you could get a center and a front pair.

You can actually get the full 5.1 set-up for $699. That's $350 off the seperate purchase price.

I have heard good things about the Athena Micra 6 system recently sold at Best Buy. It seems they were well reviewed and were being blown out for less than $400.

MCW
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice.

Would you recommend waiting for higher-end speakers as opposed to buying these now? I saw in another thread that Boston Accoustics VR (floorstanding) line was good with Marantz, but the cheapest I can see those are 600$ for a pair (not including center)

Also, would you say it is generally too risky to buy off e-bay, or not?

-Vincent
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us