Orb audio pricing mistake?

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 14
Unless I am making a mistake here the pricing seems wrong , I will explain. First the subs are $399, following are system prices.

Classic One Stereo System (one sub and (2) Mod 1 satellites) $519.00 - $399(sub)= $120
$120 divided by the 2 satellites = $60 ea.

Mod 1 Home Theater System (one sub and (5)Mod 1 satellites) $699 - $399 for sub = $300
$300 divided by five satellites = $60 ea. same as above.

Classic Two Stereo System (one sub and (2) Mod 2 satellites $629 - $399 for sub = $230
$230 divided by 2 satellites = $115 ea.

Mod 2 Home Theater System (one sub and (5)Mod 2 satellites $1099 - 399 for sub = $700
$700 divided by 5 satellites = $140 ea.

On the Mod 2 Home Theater System you are paying $25 more per satellite than if you buy 2 with the Stereo System wheras the price each is exactly the same for all other systems. Unless I made a dumb mistake with the math this does not seem right.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
They double the count of satellites so you pay 70 each for the home theater and 57each for the stereo system but get some wires in the Home Theater set up. I would have to see what comes with it to see if it was worth paying the extra for buying more.

ArizConPollo
Unregistered guest
I think you are wrong...I just called them. They said that all HT systems have a discount on the subwoofer of $100 and that all Mod1 are $80 and Mod2 are $160 in packages. If you do the math, it works for all of their HT packages. The streo packages are a couple of bucks higher. But, if you do the math, it works. $699 Mod1 - $299 suwboofer = $400 for 5 sats or $80/sat. $1099 for Mod2 - $299 = $800 for twice as many sats, or $80/sat. For the Classic Two stereo system, it is $629-299 = $330 / 4 sats = $82.50 per sat. So, I think it makes sense, at least the way it was explained to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
The guy I just got off the phone with told me to count each mod2 as 2 so you would divide by 4 for the stereo package and by 10 for the home theater package for 70 each(HT0) and 57 each for the stereo package. He said nothing about a discount of 100 dollars for a sub with home theater but did say if I bought 2 subs they would
discount 100.00 off the second sub. I talked to him before I sent my second post. It would work if they explained it to me the same way as they did to you but it sounds like you get different explanations ands different pricing depending on who you talk to, not the type of company I want to dop business with. Either that they got their story straight after I had asked the question previously.

Varit
Unregistered guest
CB...I think you are missing something. They explained their pricing to me the same way they explained it to Pollo when I bought the speakers earlier this year. For all home theater packages, each Mod1 is one sphere and each Mod2 is two spheres. Each sphere is $80. 5 in the Mod1 ($400) and 10 in the Mod2 ($800). If you add $299, which reflects $100 off the a la carte price of the sub, you get $699 and $1099, respectively, which are the prices on their website. Seems pretty straightforward to me. The reason I went through this with them is that I bought a system w/ 3 Mod2 and 2 Mod1 speakers, and it is $80 per speaker to upgrade, which is the exact cost of the speaker in their web prices. The Mod1 system is $699, and I added 3 spheres to upgrade 3 Mod1 to MOd2, that raised the price $240, to $939. This is also exactly 2 spheres and $160 short of $1099, the price of a full Mod2 system, so things seem to make perfect sense. I don't know about their stereo systems, but looking briefly, their are 2 Mod2 in the Classic Two. If you subtract $299 from $629, you get $330, or $82.50 per, as they told Pollo. So, you pay a little more for the stereo systems, not less. And, when you say you get "different pricing" depending on who you ask, I didn't see anything in your post that said the price quotes you got were inconsistent. Did they give you different prices when you called back or just an explanation that didn't match what you had worked out before calling? I've had only great service from these guys and even the owners answer the phone from time to time, which is pretty cool.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
As you can see in my previous email I said that they mentioned nothing to me about $100 off for the sub unless I bought a second one(told me that in a previous conversation when I asked about a second sub.) I did not misunderstand, it was not explained to me correctly. Also initially before I talked to him I was deducting 2 and 5 for the mod 2 when I should have deducted 4 and 10 that was a mistake on my part. You were told about the $100 and I was not there is a difference there. Not trying to be abrasive just trying to explain. The math he did on the phone was

Mod 2 ht 1099 - 399 = 700 divided by 10 is 70

Mod 2 ST 629 - 399 - 230 divided by 4 = 57.5
Those are actual figures he mentioned to me.

That is different pricing than you got. As you can see according to what he told me I was right you would be paying more. The other guys email says you get $100 off subs with any ht package your figures are showing you get the $100 discount on the sub with the stereo package as well. In order for the figures to work you would have to get the $100 sub discount on either package. But they should tell everyone about the $100 discount on the sub.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I think the "discount" is implied in the package pricing. You could say the satellites are "discounted" in the packages, too, since 5 Mod1 are $499 with no sub. I guess it really depends on what you attribute the discount on the package pricing to. The packages are a lot cheaper than the a la carte pricing, so you can say the sub is discounted x dollars or the sats are discounted y dollars. Maybe the $100 off the sub and $80/sat is just one way to look at it and there are others that the math works for, too.

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 13
Apparently all is well just a little confusion. I am considering the speakers but would like to know from someone who has them how the highs are with only the small mid range type driver to handle the highs.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I think the highs are quite good. Definitely nothing missing or flat sounding. Overall, it's a very coherent, clear speaker system with a full, big sound. I had some questions about the single driver design, too, but there was no way to really know until you hear them. We can BS on here as much as we want, but everyone's opinion is different and there are still people that will swear to you that MP3s don't degrade the sound. So, I ordered them. I took them up on the 30 day home trial and it's been almost a year and my wife and I still talk about the sound quality. I use the system more for music than movies, so I'm fairly critical when it comes to highs, midrange and accurate bass. I'm sure there are some tradeoffs and that a design w/ a tweeter is better at playing the frequencies I can't hear, but the imaging and detail that the design brings are the things that make the speakers stand out, esp. in this price range.

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 16
Do you have yours on the wall, shelf or stands?The stands are nice quality but expensive.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I had them on the included free desk stands, but my wife recently bought the HOSS stands, which are beautiful. The base is much smaller than it appears on the site and quite heavy. I didn't really notice a difference in the sound in either situation. Our Orbs set off a bit of a buying spree among our friends, and one has them wall mounted fairly high up. I was surprised at how good they still sounded when they were almost near the ceiling (obv. not the ideal height). I haven't heard them wall-mounted at or near the right height.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us