Sub connection help

dloweman
Unregistered guest
I currently have a cable from the preout on the receiver to the left low level input on my sub. Is this good, or should i get a y cable to split the connection so that i have cords to both the right and left low level input? thanks alot
derek

Unregistered guest
Too bad canadians cant enter your contest!!!!

iain
Unregistered guest
dlowman I was wondering the same thing -- that's what brought me to this forumn. To bad no one here has gotten back to you :-(

iain
Unregistered guest
dlowman I was wondering the same thing -- that's what brought me to this forumn. To bad no one here has gotten back to you :-(

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 19
im not positive...but i have read that using the splitter just makes the sub more sensitive to lower volumes. this might only apply to auto-on subs though. i hope that helps

edster922
Unregistered guest
dloweman,

my JBL sub manual says it doesn't matter if you connect the sub cable into the L or R plug, which leads me to suspect a splitter wouldn't make any difference.

If anybody else has a different experience when adding a splitter, do tell.

Anonymous

I have an Onkyo SKW-520 subwoofer (came with my Onkyo HT-S770 HTIB), and I decided to replace the flimsy subwoofer cable that came with the system so today I bought a subwoofer cable from Radio Shack (HERE), and when I opened the package I saw that on one end the cable splits with 2 plugs. I didn't know that some subs have both L and R inputs, as my sub only has 1 line in plug-in.

I'm trying to figure out if I just use one of the two plugs on the Y'ed end if the subwoofer will still receive all of the audio information or only half of it since only one of the plugs is being used. I've been looking online for info about this for awhile now and I've found some related stuff but nothing to answer this specifically. I found a page (HERE) selling a very expensive subwoofer cable (no Y) that says this:

"A quick note about subwoofer inputs:

Typically, powered subwoofers will come equipped with either a single RCA connector, or double RCA connectors. However, both connections typically only require a mono (single) connection. Therefore, if you have both right and left inputs, a single cable connected to the "left" input will probably work just fine.

However (you knew it couldn't just be that simple, right?) you can get anywhere from a 3dB to 10 dB gain from your subwoofer by plugging into both stereo inputs. To plug into both inputs with a single cable, simply purchase our Ultimate Y-Splitter Cable along with your subwoofer cable."

But that doesn't address the question of a Y'ed cable with only one input on the subwoofer.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us