Paradigm or PSB for Onkyo Receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Davidr

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 14
How do these two speaker choices match with an Onkyo receiver? Are there others that you would recommend? It is an entry level receiver (Onkyo 502) and so I am also wondering what line you would suggest (ie. performance vs cinema for Paradigm). Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 14
Both are on the warm side, and would match fairly well with onkyo, i have paradigms and have heard them with onkyo 501 and they sounded quite good. I would suggest the monitor line if you can afford it. The mini monitors are a great value. If they are too much, you can also get the titans or atoms from the performance line, i have titans as rears right now, and used to have them as fronts, they are great. I haven't heard the cinema line. Go have a listen for yourself and see what you like the best.
derek

Bronze Member
Username: Davidr

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 15
Thanks Derek.

I was thinking Mini monitors but I wasn't sure if the 502 could handle them since I know that Onkyo has a reputation of exagerating their power ratings. I didn't know if they were much more difficult to run then the lower lines of Paradigm. Howerver, it looks like the mini monitors are the root to go. Thanx again.

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 269
Derek: based on your listening experience, I would take your comments one step forward and suggest that, if the Paradigms sound good with an Onkyo 502, they would sound equally as good or better with the higher-power Onkyo 701?
I find it interesting that you refer to the Paradigms as "on the warm side," while many reviewers, including a Stereophile article, say the tweeter tends toward the "bright" side.
The Polk RTi6 speakers I now use are "bright," and as such make long-time listening rather fatiguing to my wife.
However, she dislikes the Paradigm studio 20s simply because they have vinyl "wood grain" cabinets - and she insists on "real wood or nothing!" Sigh.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 15
David, to your surprise, the monitor line is actually easier to drive than the performance line, with a 93db sensitivity on the minimonitors and an 89db on the titans.

Larry, The 701 i think would also sound good with paradigm as most receivers within the same company sound relatively the same. As for the paradigms being a bright speaker, I have not heard that from anyone on hear, most that i have read say paradigm as warm and i agree, but it doesn't really matter as long as it is what sounds good to you, right! Hope this was a little help for ya, and by the way, i think the studio 20's are some of the nicest looking speakers i have seen.
derek

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 270
Derek: thanx for the posting. I look forward to autitioning the studio 20s - and B & W 705s - with a half-dozen of my CDs - ones I know very well.
I've only seen the S-20s in pics - as has my wife. But now - how to get her past that "vinyl" issue? Maybe when the sees the speakers? She DOES have a hang-up about vinyl cladding!
Thanx again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us