Axiom Speakers and Denon 3805

Username: Caligula

Post Number: 1
Greetings forum. I have lurked about for nearly a month or so and appreciate the wealth of information and helpful advice presented here. I must admit that I am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer diversity of opinion ... and need a little more help sorting through it all.

I am looking to pair the 3805 with a quality speaker configuration in the $1,500 - $2,100 range. I have been impressed with the reviews for the Axiom line (outstanding sound ... even more impressive value) and am leaning toward the following set-up: M60ti for fronts, QS8 for surround, VP150 for center, and EP350 for a sub.

I have a rather cavernous living area (22 x 16 x 19 h ... or 6,688 cubic feet). It is an open design (several rooms radiating off the main) ... and primarily carpet and upholstered furniture accented by some hardwood flooring.

I am partial to classic rock and electric blues ... and enjoy it at all volumes ... but do want the ability to crank it on those nights of (ahem) "extreme indulgence and other assorted merriment" (and we'll leave it at that ... smile!). I also want a quality "first home theatre" set-up ... but likely see myself using the system 60% - 40% (music to movies).

Does anyone have a similar (denon-Axiom) set up? If so, can you weigh in on your experience? Has anyone else put any listening mileage on this configuration and have any thoughts? Are there better speakers than Axioms for my circumstances?

Many thanks for anyone taking the time to provide an opinion.

Caligula

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1833
I am not a big fan of the Denon Axiom set-up, but if you like your sound a little brighter than usual then this is for you. Axioms are wonderful speakers, they just over emphasize the brightness of that particular Denon, but if you like classic rock and electric blues, you probably wouldn't mind this arrangement. Have you looked at the Marantz offering or the HK and also the NAD? These would combine most graciously with the Axioms.

Post Number: 2
Berny,

Thanks for your opinion.

I am just beginning to learn audiophile jargon ... and think that I am a slight lean toward a bright sound (not like ultra metallic bright ... but clear and crisp bright ... if that makes sense)- which would jibe with your recommendation for my musical tastes.

Thanks again for the response.

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 28
I have the Denon 2805 and Axiom M22ti's. The combination is fantastic! I am hearing greater detail, imaging, and cleaner sound than ever before. I have owned the following reciever/speaker combos: Onkyo/Polk; HK/Klipsch/; Denon/Klipsch; Yamaha/Energy; and now Denon/Axiom.

I do not concur with the Marantz zealots on this forum that are always labeling Denon as bright. Nor do I find Axiom to be bright. I think that both of these brands are extremely "neutral" and do not add "warmth" to the music. "Warmth" is coloration. Give me a clean electronic signal (i.e. Denon), and speakers with flat freqeuncy response curves (i.e. Axiom).

Here are some professional review quotes on Denon Recievers that support the view that Denons are not bright:

No matter the price, I've always found that Denon receivers share a common characteristic of WARM, approachable sound, and the AVR-2803 is no exception. - Home Theater Magazine

The sound was so weighty and full that we thought the bass level had been accidentally bumped up a notch or two. It was flat, but it proved that the AVR-2803 is just richer-sounding than most receivers. This is an audiophile-grade receiver, and we love it.
-CNET

The multichannel sound produced was excellent -- with unstrained reproduction of a wide dynamic range stemming from ample power reserves and extremely low background noise. - Sound and Vision

Like all Denon AVRs I've listened to, the AVR-2805 is nothing if not consistent. It had a polite, midrange-oriented character that was in fact only mildly subtractive of resolution and frequency extension. Essentially, this was classic Denon -- as easy on the ears as it is on the wallet. This is one receiver that will make you feel as though you got more than you paid for--an uncommon sensation for most of us these days. - The Perfect Vision

I think you can safely conclude from these Professional reviews that Denon is not bright. If you prefer a slightly warmer sound with your axioms, I would then suggest Marantz or NAD. Not everyone likes "warm". The term itself sounds nice, but personally, I grew tired of rolled off highs, and the general laid back nature of warm recievers. I suppose I could throw a dish towel over my Speakers and get the same effect.

Also, both audiorevolution and audioholics rated the Axiom m22ti very highly. Audioholics compared the the Axiom with speakers costing 5 times as much and rated the axiom nearly as high and best value overall. The highs were rated as smooth and well extended. I listen to my Axioms for hours on end (Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Arrowsmith, Nora Jones, Ray Charles, Arrowsmith, Otis Redding, Steely Dan, Beethoven, Chopin) and have never suffered listener fatigue. Dylan's harmonica on the acoustic version of " All Along the Watchtower" is about as tough of a test on tweeter smoothness that I know of and never once did I say "ouch" like I have on some other speakers.

So, in conclusion, I like the Denon/Axiom combination. If you like a clean, detailed, wide- dynamic presentation, then you probably will like the combo as well

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 894
Riches1,
I have owned two Denon's [2802,3803] and can say without a shadow of a doubt that Denon receivers are brighter and thinner than just about any other line. I liked the 2802 but the 3803 was the brightest, shrillest most sibilant receiver I have ever heard. You are having a good experience with your 2805 and my past with the 2802 vs the 3803 makes me wonder if Denon's get brighter as you go up their line. The difference in those two in my old system was striking, so much so that you would think they were from different companies. Denon offers lots of features and inputs and if you like their sound they are a real bargain but from my past experience I will not take the chance on them again. BTW, you mention Marantz "zealots". Have you heard the last two Marantz lines? If so then you would know that Marantz receivers are much smoother and warmer than Denon and excellent for the money. I am glad you like your system and happy listening.

Post Number: 3
Riches1,

Outstanding information. Thank you for the detailed response and opinion ... especially in the context of other receiver-speaker brand combinations (many of which I considered) ... and for helping me to better understand the "bright - warm" dichotomy.

The Axioms are due to arrive any day ... and I'm in Alpharetta ... so I need to know your favorite beer in the event that I need to coax you up to supervise the set-up ... (leave your dish towel at home ... smile).

Thanks Again!
Caligula (Larry)

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 30
Therealelitefan:

By your own admission in previous posts, you heard a difference between the Denon 2803 and 3803. I have read the reviews on the 3803 and I think it was probably the one Denon receiver that was voiced a little differently. Looking at the number of posts that you have logged in and having achieved a Silver Member status, I would think that you would know better than to brand an entire line as "bright" based on your bad experience with the 3803. As you know, all reciever speaker combinations sound different. I thought that the Denon 2803 sounded "thin" with the Klipsch RB35's, so much so that I took the Denon back. However, Klipsch's are a little thin themselves in the midrange, and benefit from a receiver that boosts the midrange, such as a H/K -which was the combo I used with the Klipsch while I had them. Yet, my son-in-law has the Denon 3805 paired with Klipsch Reference towers and the sound is absolutely lush, rich and full!

I know that you are an audio enthusiast, but I also feel that you have a bias against Denon - one which you state is based on your actual experience. I would look for you to be tad more objective in your advice to audio neophytes, unless you are actually on some anti-Denon crusade.

I have seen you recommend Marantz for bright speakers, warm speakers, budget speakers, etc, etc,. I have sometimes wondered if you are not a Marantz distributor. Conversely, if you have read my posts, you have seen me recommend Onkyo, H/k, and Denon with various speakers.

However, you must realize that your opinion is in direct contrast to almost every one of the numerous professinal reviewers that characterize Denon as having a touch of warmth. I challenge you to fine ONE review in the editorial section of e-coustics that supports your notion that Denon is bright! I would think that your comments would much more creditable if you were to caveat your statments "in my opinion" instead of being so absolute in your assertions.

! When pressed, I have even seen you say that you like the 2805! I like Marantz, andto answer your question, yes, I have heard the latest models. They are just not my cup of tea. They are a tad warm, and to me, seem to have somewhat compressed dynamics. They are not the be-all-end-all. Have you heard the Denon 2805 and Denon 3805?

The 3805 is the recommended reciever in audioholics $12,000 home system as well as the reciever of choice in their ultimate, price no object system as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 895
Riches1,
Your last post is so full or errors and downright distortions I must respond.
1. I did not compare the 2803 and 3803. If you read my post or any others you would know it was the 2802 and 3803.
2. I am not biased against Denon , only speaking from many years of hearing them and owning two of their models.
3. I have recommended Marantz with mostly speakers on the brighter side of neutral and have never done so with a warmer brand like PSB or Paradigm. I have also recommended many different receivers based on the questioners needs and speakers. You make it sound like I recommend Marantz all the time which is just plain B.S.
4. For the record I am not a distributor but just someone with 30 years of experience and a true passion for audio who wants to see people spend theis money as wisely as possible.
5. If you have read this forum over the last couple years you might have picked up on the fact that many others agree that Denon's are on the bright side compared with several other brands. This is not a bad thing in itself but is where compatability comes in. Denon's can sound just fine with the right speakers and room environment just like any other brand.
5. I have never said I liked the 2805. Where you got that I can't imagine. Did you just make that up or misread something or confuse me with someone else?
6. You are correct about Denon's getting a good press. They are well thought of in most of the audio press and I have no problem with that in general except for The Perfect Vision magazine. They have such a pro Denon slant I can't take them seriously. Do you believe every review you read or do you trust your own ears and experineces? How much do you think advertising plays a role in reviews? If you think it doesn't you are sadly mistaken.
I have no problem with you disagreeing with me but if you are going to do so and post comments get your facts straight about what I have said and don't make up things I never said. Your credibility would be much better that way. As I said before I am glad you like your system and hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 31
Therealelite fan:

You wrote:

"I have owned two Denon's [2802,3803] and can say without a shadow of a doubt that Denon receivers are brighter and thinner than just about any other line."

I offer the following in rebuttal (If you don't trust Perfect Vision, how about CNET, Home Theater Magazine, AudioEnz, Audioholics.com and Sound and Vision?):

No matter the price, I've always found that Denon receivers share a common characteristic of warm, approachable sound, and the AVR-2803 is no exception. - Home Theater Magazine

Warm toned and luscious, the 2802..-CNET

Most noticeable about the 2803 when listening to audio CD's was its smoothness and warmth. This receiver was very strong in the mid range...-AudioEnz

Happily (and appropriately), the little Denon (AVR1803) follows a middle path, with voicing that offers a touch of bass warmth and midrange roundness -- Sound and Vision

Denon AVR-1804's richly balanced sound - CNET

The sound was so weighty and full that we thought the bass level had been accidentally bumped up a notch or two. It was flat, but it proved that the AVR-2803 is just richer-sounding than most receivers. This is an audiophile-grade receiver, and we love it.
-CNET

The multichannel sound produced was excellent -- with unstrained reproduction of a wide dynamic range stemming from ample power reserves and extremely low background noise. - Sound and Vision

As far as the ability of the Denon AVR-3805 to deliver a consistent, accurate performance, you won't be disappointed. Audioholics.com

If I misquoted you on the 2805, I aplogize and I stand corrected. However, I also still think that you are wrong about Denons being bright.

I have read a lot of your posts. You are obviously extremely knowledgeable and well versed on most audio subjects. I think your heart is in the right place and you genuinely want to help people.

I too like to see people get value for their hard earned money. I even hope that our little debate was helpful to some folks. Heck, I may even stop by my local audio botique and listen to the new marantz.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 33
Caligula:

I live in Duluth. My favorite beers are Sam Adams or Sierra Madre. Let me know what you think of your axioms. Mine sounded great right out of the box, but achieved optimal sound after about 50 hours of break in time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 896
Riches1,
I to hope our debate helps and I acccept your apology regarding the 2805. I really hope you like yours. The 2802 I had was a very nice receiver and I was so shocked at how bad the 3803 sounded in comparison that maybe my attitude toward Denon is a little skewed by that very negative experience. Another reason for my feelings about Denon might come from the fact that most of my listening over the years has been in a store that insists on pairing Denon with Klipsch. To me that has always been a very bad combination no matter what models of either.
I still can't understand why there was such a drastic difference between the 2802 and 3803. As I asked earlier is it possible Denon's get brighter as you move up their line? In the current Denon line I see no reason to buy anything higher than the 2805 in almost any situation as the 2805 has so many inputs and features and pretty decent power.[82 watts with 5 channels driven into 8 ohms at cllipping].
I appreciate your comments about my sincere desire to be helpful and I think you'd find it interesting to hear the latest Marantz and Elite receivers to see how they sound. It is fun to look at this stuff and I wish I could do even more of that than I do. Have a good Thanksgiving and turn up the volume.

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 120
I'm a Denon fan, a Denon owner for 12 years and I think Denon is very good... and bright... specialy in AVReceivers...

Silver Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 112
The DENON is a bright amplifier but if you like the Japanese sound, fine but do not let people make you think that AXIOMS are bright as they are sensitive to the equipment you set them up with.

I absolutely love the AXIOMS I have purchased and I am quite difficult!

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 34
I can't debate what people hear. I can debate on what we might mean when we say things like "bright" or "warm".

I think "bright" means different things to different people. To some, bright in a bad sense, may mean harsh, sibiliant and/or shrill. To others "bright" may mean that the highs are not rolled off. I also think that some may think that "warm" is always a good thing, not realizing that too much warmth can muffle highs, subtract from detail and muddy things up in general and result in a sound that is lifeless, dull and too laid back

Rather than "bright", I like to think of Denon recievers, especially any of the 05 series and higher (such as my 2805) as dynamic. The highs , are crisp. well defined, detailed, extended, and but most importantly - smooth. High hats sound like high hats on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature. Guitars have that distinct "ring". I can hear both the wood of the drumstick and the shimmering metallic ring of a cymbal on the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD-A. However, the vocals are warm and lifelike - (Jimi Hendrix was "in" my living room this morning and during "Purple Haze" I thought a background vocal was my teenage son talking in the next room!) The bottom end has impact, with tight, well defined bass. But, if you fixate on the high spectrum, yes, you could say that Denons are "bright". However, when I listen to the entire spectrum, I find Denons dynamic.

I have owned H/K AVR 325 - too warm, somewhat subtractive of detail, Onkyo 701 - warm, not as detailed as Denon, not as much "oomph" as Denon. I have also owned a budget Yamaha and paired with Energy Take-5s was not a bad set up - but It would not be fair to compare it to the mid-level receivers listed.

Lastly, the are a number of other variables that impact on the type of sound. One of these is recordings. Some tracks on Niel Young's Harvest DVD-A are bright (actually sibilant is probably more accurate). The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" is warmish. I usually listen to DVD-A in DTS mode. When I listen to CD's, I run the digital output from my Denon 2910 DVD player in PCM mode, through a coaxial cable. Two things happen there. First, the coaxial has a wider bandwidth than TOSLINK. Then, the PCM mode causes the 2805 to use the Alpha 24 processing to keep the corners of the square wave from rounding off (the coaxial cable also helps with this process) - resulting in a smoother analogue signal. Finally, I play the CD's in "Pure Mode". What I end up with coming through the speakers is the most dynamic, cleanest, and detailed sound I have ever heard from a mid level reciever. When I can actually hear the individual 6th and 5th strings on a guitar chord, or hear both the woody knock of a drumstick similtaneous with the metallic shimmer of cymbal, I know I am hearing detail.

So, I will agree, to an extent, that Denon is brighter than most other recievers. I think that statement is marginally true. But those highs have some outstanding qualities (smooth, crisp, well defined, etc.) Note that I am talking about the newer models. Hi-Fi Choice states that the 3805 is a distinct improvement over previous models. I think that some of the earlier 38XX and maybe even some of the 28XX series were a voiced more brightly than the current crop of Denon's.

BTW - What is "the Japanese Sound"? I have never heard that term before.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 952
I recently heard the 3805 and it was one of the brightest receivers I've heard. This might be because of the used Tannoy Fusion 4,C,1 speakers, but I dont think so. Something was really wrong with that system, I could not listen to it without pain in my ears. The Yamaha V1400 was totally different, definitely not as bright.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 35
My son-in-law has the new Denon 3805 hooked up to Klipsch reference towers. I have not noticed any tiresome brightness in that combo, and Klipsch are regarded by many as being bright (and dynamic) speakers. These speakers should reveal any excessive brightness on the 3805's part and I don't hear it.

The Denon 3805 gets top recommendations from audioholics.com and I don't know of any organization that tests more extensively. I probably would have purchased the 3805 myself were it not for the finicky remote. I went down a model to the 2805 (paired with axiom M22ti's, VPC 150 center, EP 175 sub, and QS4 surrounds) and have been very pleased.

Silver Member

Post Number: 906
Riches1,
I was going to use the Denon/Klipsch combo as an illustration of a bright system before I read your last post. I have heard these together with many different models over the last 20 years or so and have always found it very bright and at times shrill beyond my tolerance. My local Klipsch dealer also sells Elite and the even brighter than Denon SonyES and I have heard all three many times with Klipsch and the Elite has always sounded the best by a large margain. On the flip side I had a pair of Paradigm Atoms in my kitchen and even though they are amazing speakers for their size and price they and the Elite are just too dull, as you said before. Pairing a bright receiver with bright speakers or vice versa is a equally bad idea although too dull is easier on the ears than too shrill. In the digital age so much of the source material is overly bright to begin with and the stores are largely selling to the novice who uses their system for movies at the expense of quality music reproduction which is by far the most important thing for me. I always take the brightest cd I have with me and play it first and if my ears don't explode quickly I can continue the audition. Many times over the years about 30 seconds of listening has been enough to tell if it's too bright.
I want you to know that I really liked my old Denon 2802 paired with my old Def Tech DR7 system very much and my sister likes it now, especially since she got it for free from her too generous older brother. She likes my current Elite/MA system way more but is not getting it for a long time.
Like you I don't get the "Japanese Sound" comment. No such thing or a Denon would sound like a Elite and we know that's far from the truth.
I found your above comments in your post two up from this to be pretty much on the mark. We just have very different hearing so on that score we will probably not agree but I think your reasoning is generally sound but don't pay that much attention to the reviewers. I have been reading them for 25 years or more and am more leary of them all the time. We can go into this subject another time if you wish.
Enough for now my friend; I'm off to watch "The Terminal".

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 272
> I like to think of Denon recievers, especially any
> of the 05 series and higher (such as my 2805) as
> dynamic.

I thought the "05" was the year, so there would no higher numbers.

> When I listen to CD's, I run the digital output
> from my Denon 2910 DVD player in PCM mode,
> through a coaxial cable. Two things happen
> there. First, the coaxial has a wider bandwidth
> than TOSLINK.

Surely the same bandwidth is used regardless of which digital connection is used?

> Then, the PCM mode causes the 2805
> to use the Alpha 24 processing to keep the
> corners of the square wave from rounding off
> (the coaxial cable also helps with this process)

I don't know what square wave you are talking about here.

> - resulting in a smoother analogue signal.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 37
Peter:

O5 comment was meant 1805 and then "higher" end models.

There is some thought that coax has a higher end bandwidth. A Google search will readily demonstrate this.

The square wave refers to the shape of a digital signal. Although a digital signal may originate as a square wave, it may not actually end as one. Depending on the impedance, capacitance and reistance, of the cable, the corners of the square wave will round off to various degrees. This makes it harder for the receiver to accurately identify the transitions and thereby clock the incoming signal, resulting in jitter. The more degradation in the signal, the harder it is for the receiving device to accurately measure the content of the bitstream. Supposedly, coax having a wider bandwidth results in less jitter.

MemphisMark
Unregistered guest
Not sure if anyone will make it down to comment here. But on teh "bright" topic. I've enjoyed reading up on these as I start my journey into Audio-philism....

But for now I have an old STR-DE945 Sony Receiver that I'm considering pairing with Polk or Paradigm.

I assume I'm correct in thinking that pairing my "bright" receiver with the "warmer" speakers should create better sound until I can afford a new Marantz or HK amp.

I've got about $1,200 to spend on a 5.1 system, have a large room 19 x 17, with vaulted ceilings and some open areas into the kitchen and dining room...

I'm definitely afraid of bringing some speakers home with a great audition and having them not even compare at home....the other mistake I made is to get my home pre-wired for surround 8 ft high and with 16 guage wiring....

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
Memphis,
I would not worry about the wiring. I have a sad story about wire that is too long to go into now but I ended up going back to my old Monster Standard which is only 16 and it sounds much better than what I replaced it originally with.
For your current Sony the Paradigm's would be the best bet however if you are thinking H/K or Marantz in the future the Paradigms don't go so well with them as they are both on the warm side as are the Paradigm's. If you plan on keeping the Sony for a while I suggest going ahead with the Paradigm's and looking at other receivers in the meantime that match them better. A Yamaha 1500 would be a great choice with a low to mid level Paradigm system. Does your $1200 include a sub? Check out Paradigms's website for their system recommendations but the nice thing about them is almost all of their speakers even in different lines can be mixed together and still sound very good. I am helping three guys put together such systems right now and for their budgets we are going with the Mini-Monitor for mains, the cc370 [or maybe 270] center and the Titans [or Atom] for surrounds with the PDR subs.
I generally like Polks in the RTi line but stay away from the Monitor line you see at Circuit City as it use inferior drivers compared to the RTi. I talked to Polk about this and was told that the Monitor line was made specifically for CC and that a cheaper RTi speaker uses better drivers than a more expensive Monitor. This is too bad as CC used to carry the RTi line but no more. The Polk's would also not match your Sony nearly as well as the Paradigm's but would go well with the Marantz and H/K so you do have a few options. Good luck and check out the Yamaha 1500 with the Paradigms if you get a chance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1916
I wonder whatever happened to Caligula, the original poster?

MemphisMark
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the post realelite. It's appreciated. Yes, "Originally" the $1200 was for the Sub as well. May go a little beyond ')....I enjoyed the Titans and Polk RTi4's both this weekend....also checked out another speaker by JM Labs that sounded nice. Going to go back for a second listening tomorrow. Here's a question. The JM Labs speakers were ported in front, while paradigms in the rear. Will be mounting 8' high on shelves. Liked the sound but wasn't sure on the Inverted dome tweeters???

For the price was considering the Titans for fronts and rears with I think the 270 and 12" Sub. Looks like this would put me near 1400. I'll look for the mini-monitors tomorrow. Thanks for the help. This is a blast.

Post Number: 4
Hey guys ... me still be here .... back in lurking mode as I take in all of the prattle. I am still amid a very deliberately-paced set-up process (just ordered all of my bulk wire, cables, HSU sub, etc.) and will report back in full very shortly.

I have temporarily hooked up the 3805 and Axiom m60tis (just for 2-channel "stereo" listening) ... and let me just say this: The Axioms sound unfreakinbelievable! I have never heard music as pure. I am absolutely thrilled at the sound quality of the Denon/Axiom. It has the perfect tonal qualities for my listening preferences ... a slightly bright/forward presentation with extremely crisp and clean sound. I could not be more happy. I really hit the bull's eye for what I was after. I owe a lot of that to the support and perspectives that this (and other) audiophile web sites afforded.

I figure that I'll dedicate most of next weekend to finalizing the set-up ... and can share more. All I can say at his point is "WOW!" I could not be more happy with the Denon-Axiom set-up thusfar.

I'll check back in soon ...

Caligula

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 56
There we go. Someone that has the equipment, has listen to the equipment and says WOW.

I cann't stand reading post that says a brand is this or that and compare it to a previous year.

How can any one say the denon 2005 models compare to a 2002 or 2003 model, without doing a side by side? But just plain out flat say Well the 3802 was blah blah,!! SO that makes the 3805 the same blah blah as that? Besides when does humming in a speaker make a receiver like Nad high quility? That is all you read about the NAD's, They have hummin and poping and I'm returing it and it's not back yet!!!! I would say that is bad quility if you can hear humming because of your receiver.

Thanks for the feedback on the setup Caligula

Username: Rscarb

Post Number: 8
I have deeply enjoyed reading this post. I started another post about my Denon 3805 , pairing up with Axiom or B&W's. Asking what folks thought about this combo. I must say that I am now convinced that Axiom will work well with the Denon. Riches1, I also live in the Atlanta area and would like to know how you like the Denon/Axioms ? What do you listen to most ? Music/Movies/Games ?? Thanks.

Good thread...very informative !!

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 39
Rob:

I listen to about 70% music, mostly CD's in Pure Direct Mode, 60's and 70's stuff like Beatles, Humble Pie, Spooky Tooth, Dylan, CSN&Y, Traffic to current rock/alternative like White Stripes, Kings of Leon, more Dylan and Radiohead. I also like Steely Dan, Norah Jones and Classical stuff. I have a small collection of concert DVD's (Monterey Pop Festival, James Taylor at the Beacon Theatre, Steely Dan, Eagles, The Last Waltz, and others). I haven't purchased any SACD's yet, but I do have a universal DVD/CD player. I listen to music almost everyday, especially since I got the axioms!

I like action and adventure movies and we usualy watch 1-2 movies a week.

I don't play many games, and when I do, it's usually on the computer.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 40
Based on Russ White's comments, I have upgraded my Denon AVR 2805 to Denon 3805.

The Denon AVR 3805 does sound
"noticeably" better. The first thing I noticed was a slightly richer, fuller sound. Also, the highs are much smoother. The sometimes excessive sibilance that I heard on Neil Young's Harvest DVD-A on the title track is gone. It was definitely worth the extra $300 ($365 if you get the room calibration microphone which is included with the AVR 2805). I got 10% off plus a few other discounts at Crutchfield since I purchased the Denon DVD 2910 at the same time.

However, if the $1199 stretches your budget, the Denon AVR 2805 is good alternate for the money at $899.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us