FOR NAD T773 owners ! Please help !

Bronze Member
Username: Petarst

Post Number: 11
Hi,
I have one big problem. I can't configure ZR2 to work.I have connected speakers to speaker B output. I choose input of zone to be tuner, power on the zone, choose zone setting 5.1/2.0 and nothing. The sound that I have is the sound from main input. Have i done something wrong or it doesnt work. In manual I don't see how i can do that. Also supplied remote ZR2 doesnt work form any other room in house!! They said it will work form another room or something.

Please help me i am so tired of this s...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
No body want to help?
People it doesnt work TRY !!!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 511
I hope it isn't too late, but I think I can help. You have the same misconceptions that I once had. The "B" speaker output is not the same thing as a "second zone". The speaker B terminals simply give you a second set of stereo (2 channel) speakers that you can put in another room. However, the volume, source, etc. all have to be the same as the main input...as you have found out.

To get a true "second zone" (one with volume and source independent of the main zone), you need a seperate power amplifier. You would connect the separate stereo amp to the zone 2 preouts on the back of the T773.

I also heard once on this forum that someone had success with somehow wiring the second zone through the two surround back channels (amps) already in the T773, but I wouldn't know where to begin with that.

So, in a nutshell, if you want a true second zone, you need another power amp. I agree, the manual isn't very clear on this issue. The ZR2 remote will work in other rooms, but you need the separate power amp first.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thank you Johnny, you are wonderful.
I realies that already, but i am not shure.
Anyway if i need it i will buy ,a new stereo amp for that room.

regards,
Petar

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 68
i have a 773, and have not tried zone 2 yet, but i also recall a thread from this board that stated you can use the 2 back surround amp channels to power zone 2. i forget the precise connection details but you could probably find it in here. i think it involved removing the jumpers from pre-out to the surround back channel amp inputs, and running cables from zone 2 out to the surround back channel amp inputs. if that works, it seems funny that NAD doesn't tell you, as that would enhance the utility and value of the product.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Sorry, but i can't find a zone 2 preout on my reciver there is not any of that!Now i am a really confused how to connecting it!

Big Fan i don't understand at all. Maybe I am stupid ,but please can you explain to me better.
Ok where should i have to connect zone 2 speakers?
I think to surround back, am i right?
Now after that ? please? thx in advance!

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 32
Zone 2 output uses the surround back speaker outs (and amps). Just wire your z2 speakers to surround back channels speaker posts and configure the receiver for 5.1/2.0 as you did. If this fails, return the product.
Regards,
Dary

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 514
No, DON'T RETURN THE PRODUCT. You need a separate power amp to drive the zone 2 speakers, plain and simple. It isn't a flaw in your system Petar. My computer is seriously messed right now, and I can't get to the online user manual for the T773, but I am absolutely certain that the zone 2 preout is there. I think it is labeled "multizone out", but I don't know for sure. Whenever I can get to a computer that will allow me to look at the online user manual, I will tell you for sure.

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
Petar,

Refer to page 12 of the T773 operating manual.

You will see outputs listed under #5 on the diagram, 'MS OUT' (multisource)

It is these two channel audio and single composite video output you would use to drive the amplifier and a display in another room.

http://207.228.230.231/manual/NAD-T773_GB.pdf

E.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 515
I finally got to a computer that works. Just to add to what E said, the MS OUT preout is just to the left of center near the top of the chassis. It is directly above the "CD" input and the monitor out.

Do NOT wire your zone 2 speakers to the surround back channels...you would wire the zone 2 speakers to the speaker terminals of the separate amp.

Do a search of the forum to find the thread in question that describes a possible way that you MAY be able to use the surround back channels as the zone 2...but as I said, I don't know exactly how to do this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Johnny is right about the manual, but I believe wrong about the actual operation. I haven't tried it myself, but Dary is at least the second person I have seen on this board recommending the above steps. Also, when I bought my 773, this specific issue was a concern of mine. Several stores told me what the manual said. However based on what I learned on this board, I asked the authorized online dealer that I eventually bought from (Yawa) this same question. They made the effort to actually try the hookukp before I purchased and said it works fine. As I mentioned in my above post, I don't understand why NAD keeps this such a secret (and actually has contradictory information in their manual), when their unit seems to have this useful capability built in.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 516
bigfan,

If you could help educate me, then I would certainly appreciate it, but what exactly am I wrong about in regards to the second zone operation? Like I said, as far as I know, and according to the manual of the T773 (and my T762--which also carries this same function), a separate power amp is needed to get the full second zone capability. Now, as I have also admitted at least twice, and as you have also echoed, there was some talk some time ago on this forum about a POSSIBLE way to connect the second zone using the surround back channels...thus bypassing the need for a separate power amp. I don't recall if there was ever any diffinitive answer given as to whether this tactic works or not. Since my T762 is only a 6.1 receiver to begin with (and only has one surround back channel), this is not even a possiblity for me, so I have not been able to try it out on my own unit.

If you know of a way to get a second zone without using a separate power amp, then please, share it with everyone...like you said, it would be useful for everyone to know about.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Sorry if my post was confusing. I went back and found the thread from several months ago that says how to do it. I only have a hard copy so I'll type it below (it was by Invierno, May 1, 2004):
- set advanced options to 5.1/2.0
- remove jumpers on the back that connect the left and right rear surround pre-out to their matching main in jacks
- use a couple standard audio cables to connect the zone 2 outputs to the rear surround main in jacks
- your rear surround speaker posts are now a powered zone 2

I think this amounts to what I was trying to say from memory in my first post in this thread, but Invierno states it much more articulately. To reiterate, I have NOT tried this, so I can't vouch for it, but my dealer said he tried it (at my request) and that it worked fine. If anyone tries it I'd be curious to know how it worked.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hi,

this is the answear from NAD

Hi Petar,

Yes, you do have to purchase a separate amp to drive zone 2. It can be connected at 'MS OUT', which stands for Multi Source Out.

That is it guys, you are all so helpful, thank you so much.

All the best,
Petar

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 517
Petar,

Give bigfan's recommendations a shot before you go out and buy a separate amp. I am very interested to know how this turns out.

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 59
Hey all - bigfan's solution is the way to go without buying a new amp. It works fine... all you are doing is re-routing the MS out to the two surround back amplifiers input. This is my current setup, and it works fine.

There is a bit of a catch though... you will not have access to the "Matrix 7.1" surround decoding - as you have now set it up to 5.1/2.0 in the menu. Not sure if that really makes that uch of a difference to you, but there it is.

B

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thx Brad I will try it after some time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
YES I TRY IT, IT WORKS perfect and I have enjoy
of it, excellent product.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums