Klipsch lover turning hater

Unregistered guest
I have owned an older pair of Klipsch tower speakers for 7 years. They sounded great with my old High end JVC AVR with a built in equalizer. My JVC died and I bought a Denon 1905 and I can't tolerate the sound for very long. The highs are overwhelming. Should I take it back(good guys) and try a different receiver or should I look into new speakers. Klipsch has been a good speaker up until now. Oh and to make the situation worse I bought a center channel Klipsch RCX-4 and two RSX-5's for the rear when I bought the AVR. I usually don't run all 5 speakers when playing music, so I am considering keeping the surround and center speaker but Maybe there are better speakers for this too that will allow me to play all 5 apeakers for music or do most people just run the main towers with a sub for music? They seem pretty nice for Home Theater when running my DVD, not overly bright. Oh and I forgot to mention, most of the music I play is from my statellite direct TV. Perhaps that's my problem? I also, plan to run my PC into my AVR so I can play streaming music from Rhapsody.com I wonder if that will result in the same problem.

Unregistered guest
Oh and if I should get new tower speakers what model would be a good fit assuming I keep my Kilpsch surround and center. I am also running a new 8" energy sub(so far so good with this sub). If I should get a new receiver please recommend a model. Please note that I have hardwood floors so maybe that has an impact on making the highs sound so bright but I don't know. Perhaps an equalizer would be a good fix. The Good Guys salesman said the Denon was a perfect match for the Klipsch.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1979
Check out the Harman Kardon models, they play well with Klipsch. Or you could get another JVC.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 674
Frank,

The Klipsch line are on the bright side, so best paired with a "warm " receiver. The Denon is not a good match. I would take Berny's advice above. Nad and Marantz would be other alternatives.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 948
For Klipsch you have gotten several good recommendations but as the resident Elite pusher I must add them to the list. Klipsch need a warm receiver and I don' think there is any warmer or better match for Klipsch than Elite. H/K, Marantz and NAD would also be very good as well so check them all out and get whichever you like best from that list and you should again like your Klipsch even better than ever as all these receivers are better than JVC. If you want to look at good Elite pricing from a very good online-mailorder dealer check out dynaco.com. They are a very reputable dealer and sell other brands as well. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 190
What is the model number of the bright sounding Klipsch?

You could try different cables.

The last good Klipsch series was the KG which they quit making in the mid 90's (the heritage series is good, but I believe all of those models are special order and are classic designs). I did not find KG's to be bright.

Frank M
Unregistered guest
Berny and Rick is there a retail store that you know of where I can audition the HK, NAD, or Marantz with Klipsch. I live in Los angeles so I am sure there has to be a place here. Do you think they would let me bring in my speakers and hook them up for the audition.

Frank m
Unregistered guest
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. Ben, my speakers are the KG 3.5. The treble for female voices comibined with brass instuments is agonizing after only 5 minutes. Why do you say that the KG were the last good speakers? I hate to go amp shopping, but if that's truly my problem, I will try elite too since Elitefan suggested them for comparison with HK, marantz and NAD. Does hardwood floors affect high frequency vs carpeting? Does the signal source make a difference, such as CD vs satellite or is it all a matter of how the signal is amplified by the receiver? Thanks again for the replies.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 681
Frank,

Go on line to the various manufacturers and get the names of the dealers in Los Angeles area. Any dealer worth a damn will let you bring your speakers with you. Just call ahead, tell them what you have in mind, and set up an appointment if you can. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1981
Rick is right, i know of a few reputable dealers that allowed (even encouraged) me to bring in my speakers to audition their receivers. I would try to avoid the big chain stores.
Alas, I am nowhere near Los Angeles.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us