Speakers for Rotel components

Username: Cichlid

Post Number: 1
Hello, this is my first post on this forum.
I need some suggestions for speakers for my system:

rotel RC995 preamp
rotel RB990 amp (200x2)
rotel RCD-02

Currently, my speakers are a pair of Polk monitor 10's. These have served me well back when I was listening to music through my HTS, but I'm afraid they are the weak link to my current system.

The only other speaker types I have tried are B&W and JBL's.
My roomate has a pair nice JBL L220. They kick butt with his Mcintosh system, but when matched with my system, my ears started to bleed...way too harsh (perhaps horns are not a good match for Rotels?). Some say Rotel products sound bright. Others say neutral or clean. Well, I guess it's up to preference.

I tried out some B&W CM604. They were matched with rotel components at the local store. I can honestly say that my system with the Polk speakers sounded better than these B&W's. It sounded muted and I wasnt happy with the low freq sounds. The Nautilis speakers sounded superb, but I can't afford these.

I found some affordable older model B&W 801 and 802 speakers on ebay and audiogon and such, but research tells me that these guys are hard to drive, and I would probably have to spend tons more to upgrade my current system.

I am at an impasse. I have this terrible affliction of wanting to upgrade and more, but I can't afford to make expensive mistakes, especially with speakers.

I like listening to rock, Euro synth rock/electronic music, and occasionally R&B. (examples...Pink Flyod, Satriani, Velvet Underground, Terje Rypdal, Enya, Sarah McLachlan, Postal Service, Underworld, Morrissey). I'm not much into classical music, but I do enjoy piano and jazz music.

I hope this info helps narrow your suggestions. I am looking to spend $1000-$2000. Please don't narrow suggestions to only new speakers. I will definitely spend money on the right vintage speakers in good condition.

Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 1
drugas,
I have paradigm monitor 7's and they sounds great. I heard that paradigms are a great match with rotel, although i can't afford rotel!!! I would suggest looking at the paradigm studio 60's

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 919
I second the Paradigm Studio Series. I have a local dealer that sells both and the combo is a very good one. I would suggest the 60 for a floorstander and the 40 for a bookshelf. Very nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us