Coax support 5.1?

Username: Chuckd

Post Number: 1
I am sure this is a noob question, but I'm a noob :-). I have my HDTV cable box connected to my receiver with COAX digital audio. The HD channels say they broadcast in 5.1, yet my receiver will only play Pro-Logic. Yes my receiver supports 5.1 and it works with my xbox with optical sound. So my question... even though coax is a digital connection, does it not support tru Dolby 5.1 surround?

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 73
Yes Coax is the same as optical, you should be getting Dolby Digital, when available.

Go to your cable box settings, make sure Dolby Digital and DTS (if possible) are enabled.

Also, depending on your location, not all channels will deliver high definition or 5.1 sound. There most likely will be some sort of marker on the channels that do as you use the channel menus.

Unregistered guest
Yes, most of the time, you will be getting 2-channel PCM from your satellite/cable provider when you use the digital connection.

Some movies on the premium channels (HBO, etc.) have 5.1 sound, as does most HD programming.

Username: Chuckd

Post Number: 2
Yeah I guess my cable provider just doesn't support it.... I have my HD channels and they are saying they are broadcasting in 5.1 but it isn't coming through that way... I will check my cable box to see if there is a 5.1 or DTS setting is the only thing I can do I suppose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us