NAD T742 Problem

Bronze Member
Username: Boots

Post Number: 15
Hi All,
I hope someone has an idea on this problem. I purchased a NAD T742 a little over a year ago, along with PSB Image 5T towers an 8c Center and a Subsonic I sub. I love the sound for movies and music.
I noticed recently that when I selected EARS (NAD's simulated surround mode) I did not have music in my rear speakers. I changed to Enhanced Stereo, and I did have music in the rears.
Then the other day, I noticed that watching movies, Music DVDs, or listening to music in Enhanced Stereo, I have no sound in my Right Rear Surround speaker. (speaker and speaker wire tested fine seperately) I have a DVD player that plays SACDs ,so I have it hooked up to the NAD via the Ext 5.1. Oddly, when I play SACDs, I do get surround in all speakers.
Any ideas? Also, will I be out of luck with NAD as the unit is 2 weeks over a year old?
Thanks all!
Boots

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Boots,

Please take a look on my note from "why not to buy NAD receiver" - https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/106549.html At the first note I wrote that I have several problems with my NAD T773 receiver, one of them is the same as you wrote with the EARS mode and rear speakers. I have shipped my one to the NAD service before ~ 4 weeks, should have it tomorrow back and will see...

Daniel

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 151
Boots, the EARS program is a simulated 5.1 set up for music. If you read the manual, the Enhanced Stereo differs from EARS in that it boosts the rear speakers. My guess is (because you state that the surround speakers are working fine in other tests) that the music cd you are choosing does not have much signal in back. Just as in movies, the back speakers are not pumping out sound all the time. The busy speakers are the front and center speakers. Test the system by playing a dvd which has major action scenes like Saving Private Ryan (the Omaha Beach assault) which should have sounds coming from everywhere. Even there the surrounds are not busy all the time. It is a misconception that the surrounds have either music or movie going all the time. If you have the same remote I do, you can individually boost the volume of the surrounds. Also, did you set up your system with an SPL meter? You can also boost the gain of your surrounds in the set up but check different cds and dvds to make sure you are not overcompensating for movies or music which really do not have anything going in the back speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 149
Boots,

I have a similar problem with my T742. There is occasionally no sound from the left rear speaker. I had this happen a few months ago and took it in to the dealer who ran it for two days without any problems. Then I brought it home, made sure the speaker wire connections were good (one of them was a bit loose) and also hooked it up to a voltage regulator. The problem didn't happen again until the past week (oddly enough when I switched DVD players). I find when it happens if I push the test button on the remote there is sound from the speaker and then it works fine, but it's happening almost daily now so it's becoming very annoying.

The easiest mode to try this out in is Enhanced Stereo which should always have a signal in the rear speakers (assuming theres a signal in the fronts). One thing to try is unplug the unit for a good 8 hours or so, recheck all the speaker connections ant turn it on again.

I think there's either something flaky with this unit or a loose speaker wire can cause the DSP or something to go into a bad state which can possibly be corrected by turning off the unit for an extended period of time. If it continues to happen to me I'll bring mine in and hope they can reproduce the problem...I'll keep you updated.

BTW, you should have a two year warranty with the NAD or at least mine is two years.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hi Jonathan.
Thanks for replying. All good thoughts but I have been through them. The gains for all speakers are set at 0, and the Right Rear did not work, even when I boosted it all the way up. For some reason EARS now works....except on the Right Rear Surround speaker. The Right Rear doesn't work on any surround format, Dolby, DTS,EARS, Enhanced Stereo, etc. The only time it works is on Ext. 5.1 when I am playing a SACD or DVD-A.
Is the NAD warrantied for 1 or 2 years? If it's one, I'm about 3 weeks past one year.
Boots

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 152
Boots, sorry, I misread your original post. I do have a warranty from another product and it is a two year warranty. You can call NAD at 1-800-263-4641 and get information or go to this website:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/parts_service/index.htm

I have had really nice success communicating with NAD directly including talking to a rep directly on certain issues raised in these forums. Good luck to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks for the phone # Jonathan. I missed it when I went to the website before. I called them and they think it's a problem with the channel in the receiver. Luckily, they gave me the # of an Authorized NAD Service place that was only 30 minutes away from me. I dropped it off there and they think it will be ready in a week. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again!
Boots
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us