Video through receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 64
Harman Kardon AVR430

My DVD and Xbox are both connected directly to my TV with composite cables.

My receiver has component in/out but looking at the description I'm not sure whether it will benefit the video quality to run all the signals through the receiver.

The convienience of keeping the tv on one input and the OSD really don't warrant buying more $150 composite cables unless there's some up-conversion or better handling of progressive scan.

Currently the 480p signal from my new model panasonic DVD player is horrible, I leave it in 480i, yet the Xbox looks great in 480p. It's running through a 2001 Panasonic CinemaVision.

What are my options?

Unregistered guest
Kano,

I assume you mean "component" cables, not "composite" cables. Also, a set of component cables should not cost you $150. They start at $10 and go on up (the sky is the limit, of course).

You're right, switching the component signal through the receiver is just a convenience; the receiver will not improve the signal.

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 17
Nathan....i'm guessing that you aren't into the monster cable hype.

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
I think it's important we clarify what Nathan is asking; Kona, are you talking about COMPOSITE (single yellow wire traditionally) wires, or COMPONENT???(Three wires just for video, R, G, B known also usually as pY, pB, and pG)

If you have both the DVD and Xbox playing through your H/K using composite, (which adds the OSD) before going to a single input on your TV, then this is a VASTLY INFERIOR signal for picture.

If you take the COMPONENT signal out of your DVD player (which is the only thing capable of 480p, btw; composite can ONLY carry an interlaced signal, for either the DVD or the Xbox) and the COMPONENT signal out of your Xbox (like I do), have the H/K switch them, before sending them to the Display, yes, you WILL lose the OSD on the Component signal. I leave a dedicated Svideo cable run from the receiver to the display using another display input for those times I need to muss with the OSD settings or when I want to hook up a non-component device to the front panel jacks of the receiver like a camcorder or VCR. (once in a BLUE moon)

But the losing of the direct use of the OSD PALES in comparison to the TREMENDOUS JUMP in video quality of a component signal. (even if the H/K is not upconverting or modifying the signal at all)

So, please clarify, do you have a composite (single) cable each running from your DVD and Xbox to receiver/TV?

E.

PS - Oh, and Nathan's right; good cables will NOT cost you $150. A decent set for both the DVD and Xbox can start at $60 tops for both combined. (not to mention the Dolby digital benefits you'll gain on the Xbox!!)

Elmosaurus
Unregistered guest
Sorry, my mistake, CORRECTLY,

COMPONENT is 'usually known as...'

Y, Pb, and Pr

I was thinking in Computer monitor terms there for a moment. (RGB is a different world in DB-15 connectors...)

E.

Unregistered guest
"Nathan....i'm guessing that you aren't into the monster cable hype."

Good guess, Christopher :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 18
im just curious to know what your reason for not being in the hype is and what you would buy if you are going to set up a hifi system....not that i would spend $150 on one cable, but i do think they're lower end stuff is reasonable. what do you think?

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 96
Yeah I mucked my first post up big time, I meant to say component all the way through.

I ended up buying another Monster component cable $80 plus tax and running the video through the receiver. I though I would get the OSD but I was wrong. There does seem to be a slight improvement in both 480i/480p. I have a cheap Mad Catz S-Video cord lying around which is juuuust long enough to plug into the front of the TV, so I can mess with my crossovers and such whenever I need to.

Bronze Member
Username: Tier0605

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 21
How much difference does Monster cable really make as comapred to the cheapest form of the cable available in the market? I have a lot of equipment and everything runs the basic stuff you can find at Walmart for cheap as opposed to Monster cable. This includes, the video cables, the speaker wire, the audio optical cable...I dont have a dlp tv or a plasma or evne a flat screen tv. What do u think?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us