Time to buy christmas presents (spkrs)

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 156
this week im goin christmas shopping, and i got pretty much everyone counted for, but my dad. i plan on buying him new fronts and a new subwoofer. he needs thin speakers to fit beside his tv. so i have the polk audio RTi12 in mind. thers a deal that you get a free subwoofer with any polk audio speaker at visions. the subwoofer is worth $300. If i buy these polks should i stick with the sub, or buy another one? the receiver to run them is pioneer 1014.

Any other suggestions? i need to get my A$$ in gear already 10 days away lol.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1000
The Polk Rti12 is a heck of a nice speaker and a generous gift, even for a father. They might be a bit much for the 1014 so look at the Rti8 and 10 also. Both would be good matches . If the room is a mid to small room the Polk sub does an adequate job. Give it as try first.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 175
The free subwoofer is the PSW202 if it's the same deal I was after. I immediately returned the sub when I would get popping with it trying to keep up. That is the sub they offer with all their mini/micro systems.

I agree with elitefan, those speakers are hard to drive for the majority of receivers, I would recommed the 8s over the 10s, since you trade off the 2nd driver of the 8s for the 2 woofers on the 10s. If you plan on getting a sub with the system the 8s are a great choice.

Another great thin profile speaker set is the Energy Connoisseurs, the C-7s may be the speaker you're looking for, easy to drive with 93 dB efficiency as well.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/connoisseur/connoisseur_speakers1_c-7.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
ok so we let me get this straight. the RTi12's are a bit much for the 1014, so they are out. Kano you recommend the 8's over the 10's because the 10's add 2 woofers, and takes away 1 driver, ok.

ok so lets say i buy the RTi8's what sub would you reccommend? if i get the 8's i need a sub, and if i get the 10's i dont need a much higher end sub? he just watches movies, the odd radio now and then, but mostly movies. so keep that in mind lol he doesnt need a forward fireing one i dont think.

yeah i need to get him thin speakers for the space. the big jbl's he has now are not placed properly, because of their size. so thats why i like the RTi's, haha i actually bought the totem aarows and hooked them up when he was away in calgary for the weekend... returned them about 30mins later because that 1014 no way in hell was that driving them.

it isnt a large room either, so keep that in mind lol. i dont think he cares if he pisses off the neighbours.. his theory "their dogs bark none stop and i have to listen to that crap, now they can listen to my Sh!t"

oh and kano what did u buy to get the sub? also when u took it back did u get anything like money, or in store credit?

kano you mention energy, those are slim? and how do they sound? im going tomorrow morning or whenever i get an answer back to this post to test all the stuff out. lol with my decision makeing ill probably miss christmas haha.

so to conclude, the 8's over the 10's because the 10 replaces the driver with 2 woofers. the free sub, test, take back. i need a nother opinion for subwoofer. and test out the energy's. kano are u in canada?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 176
I'm in Victoria.

I read some reviews and comments about the 10s lacking the mid-range clarity of the 8s. While you get added bass with the 10s the low end of the 8s isn't bad at all. The 12s are superior to both in many ways but you'd definitely have to upgrade the receiver or get a power amp to drive them.

I recommend the Energys because they might match closer with JBL (I don't know if he has centre and surround), also while the Polks have 90dB, the Energys have 93dB sensitivity, meaning the receiver has to work harder to drive the Polks. The Energys have a very detailed sound and good bass, they might be a very good match with the Pioneer, worth checking out at least.

I have the Polk PSW404. I got a good deal on it when I purchased my system, and frankly Future Shop doesn't carry any better subs. A&B has a much better selection for subwoofers. It's a good subwoofer, it rolls off a bit late, ie the port is a little slow finishing. Also all the Polk Rti and Lsi have a foam surround around the woofer, which doesn't seem ideal. The PSW202 has rubber surrounds and is the exception. The 404 has good power, but could go a little deeper. I'll upgrade down the line to most likely the SVS cylinders, but I also like Velodyne, Sunfire and HSU.

The SVS PB10-ISD is awsome for $429 US, I would definitely love to own that baby. Unfortunately I hear that SVS is hard to get in Canada.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1004
According to Polk's website the free sub is their new model [which I can't remember the #] and has a 10 driver. It looks ok and I would take it home and try it out. I think the RTi8 would be the ideal choice for the 1014. This is a nice, compact floorstander and I was pretty impressed with it when I heard it. It certainly doesn'r hurt to look around and Energy has always made excellent speakers so Kano's recommendation is a good one. Let us know what you decide.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
good deal victoria is beautiful! go there all the time. ok so the 12's are out and ill stick with just lookin and demo'ing the 8's. ive been thinking here, i might be insane lol but, what if i got him a new receiver, and picked him up the 12's. Since he has the new 1014, would a elite model drive the 12's? ah, actually scractch that, lol ill get him other things for his bday in april. would the elite drive the 12's?

yeah he has 5.1 setup. he deffinatly needs a center though. he has a 6year old sony center that doesnt even seem to work anymore lol. the jbl's carry all the dialoge. if i get him the 8's ill for sure look for the polk center. any suggestions for the center? if i go with energy any suggestions for center for that?

I hate future shop with a passion.. i always shop at visions. future shop does carry velodyne. i agree that A&B has a huge selection of subs. if i go demo the energy's at A&B they only sell denon, yamaha, and sony receivers, how am i going to get an ideal realization for the sound, when not useing a pioneer? you said that you took back your sub right away, did you get anything for it? instore credit or, anything? Here is what i was thinking. If i pick up the 8's and get the free subwoofer, and take it back, get an instore credit if they offer, maybe even trade in for the polk center channel. you think they would? then after just pick up a subwoofer.

Can someone describe what to look for in a sub. i know that front fireing is for music, so he doesnt need that. a ported sub i know gives more bass drive. but what do you mean when u say the port is a little slow finishing? im not knowledgeable about subs at all lol.

elitefan, if i go with polk ill test out the sub and see if it is good. if not i need some recommendations.

1 more thing. ill run you by the setup he has and you tell me if its good or not. The new energy's or polk for the fronts. polk, or energy center, whichever subwoofer lol, and the 2 jbl 310 northbridge series for the rears. what is your input on useing the jbl's for the rears? when i get him new speakers, theres not much use for them lol. any suggestions? thanx guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us