Help I'm a newbie!

Username: Dannox02

Post Number: 1
Ok, I've been wanting to buy a new sterew (to replace my JVC boombox) for about 15 years! Now is the time!

I have about $2000-$2500 (Cnd.) to spend. I've been looking at at a Yamaha RX-V2500 reciever, and like what I hear, so I've pretty much settled on that. But I can't decide on the speakers.

My choice comes down to Paradigm Monitor 7, Paradigm Monitor 9, or Monitor Audio B6.

I listened to all speakers today, and really liked all 3 so I can't decide. I found the monitor 9 and B6 pretty similar and liked the extra bass, but the 7s were pretty sharp.

For now I'll mostly be using 2 channel mode for audio, but I'll eventually be expanding into a surround system too (very secondary to me).

Any suggestions on what would be best? I can't find much on the web about the Monitor Audio B6, but have found a lot of reviews for the monitor 7 and 9. It seems most people like the 7 better...

Oh, one other thing, I can get the yamaha 2400 right now for $500 less than what the 2500 is... is it worth the upgrade?

dloweman
Unregistered guest
dan
I have just got the monitor 7's, and they are awesome. They are coming out with a new version, so you can get a great deal on a set of the older version. From what i hear the paradigms are a better match with the yammie, although i haven't heard the monitor audio's , i heard they are better matched with a warmer receiver like pioneer elite, so i would suggest the monitor 7's with probably a 2400 since save 500 and use that money for a sub (Hsu or SVS are great, i have hsu vtf-2 mk2, WOW it rocks), or go with monitor audio with an elite. Go out and listen, see which you like best.
Derek

dloweman
Unregistered guest
dan
I have just got the monitor 7's, and they are awesome. They are coming out with a new version, so you can get a great deal on a set of the older version. From what i hear the paradigms are a better match with the yammie, although i haven't heard the monitor audio's , i heard they are better matched with a warmer receiver like pioneer elite, so i would suggest the monitor 7's with probably a 2400 since save 500 and use that money for a sub (Hsu or SVS are great, i have hsu vtf-2 mk2, WOW it rocks), or go with monitor audio with an elite. Go out and listen, see which you like best.
Derek

TWR
Unregistered guest
Before you settle on anything: with your budget, I wouldn't spend any of it on a receiver. If you are primarily interested in 2 channel audio, you should at least consider buying separates (pre-amp, amp, tuner, CD.)

If you buy your gear used, you can really end up with a nice system at a bargain basement price.

Lastly, the way a speaker sounds is completely subjective. The only 'right' speaker is the one that sounds best to you. If you are having trouble choosing between multiple models, be patient. Do the research, read everything you can about them. Make sure you audition with a limited selection of music that is representative of your listening habits and with which you are very familiar. See if you can audition them in your home, as well. All too often, a speaker will behave much differently in your home than it does at your dealer's showroom.

There's nothing worse than realizing you can't live with a piece of gear until after you've spent your money.

If you need any other guidance, I'd be happy to help. Just let me know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us