Speaker grills?

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 32
Does it matter is you take off the grills or covers from your speakers. Do they serve any purpose other than looks.

Username: Djstickey

Post Number: 3
They don't serve an acoustic purpose. They're to keep stuff from hitting your speaker cones. There's no reason to take the grills of. All that will do is make them more succeptible to damage.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Some speakers are "voiced" with the grills on and should be used that way.

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 33
Ok, thanks. I always keep my grills on but since I started reading audio reviews- I noticed that they often make commenst like, "they look great with or with out the grills." And that made me wonder if there was any reason to take them off. I'll keep mine on

Username: Sause

Post Number: 10
I have heard from people who have more experience than me that you should all ways take the grills off, but I have not heard a real difference.

Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 4
Take the grilles off. Though they're very fine, grillles are still an obtacle between the drivers and your ears. The difference is rather minimal though. Some say it's all psychological.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 181
I have to say that taking the grills off will make the speakers sound more open and unconstrained. There is an obvious difference for me, much more than when I changed cables.

However, being a parent of a three year old boy, wouldn't dream of taking them off for at least a few more years. If there is no one around that would destroy the cones, I would certainly take the grills off.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 182
I have to say that taking the grills off will make the speakers sound more open and unconstrained. There is an obvious difference for me, much more than when I changed cables.

However, being a parent of a three year old boy, wouldn't dream of taking them off for at least a few more years. If there is no one around that would destroy the cones, I would certainly take the grills off.

JamesCB
Unregistered guest
J. Vigne has the only correct answer so far. Consult your manufacturer. There are quite a few that design the grills to remain in place.

James

Username: Brian_l

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
Seaker grilles are not designed to restrain the sound they are designed to protect the speakers from damage . Have you ever priced out replacing drivers , mids, tweeters ??

Nuf said

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 181
Most speaker grilles are built down to the price so it is recommended they are removed for serious listening. There are a few speakers which are designed to be listened to with grilles on (Naim and Royd are two that come to mind).

Grilles are often describes as 'acoustically transparent' but I find I can hear a significant improvement once the grille is removed, and it's not like this is difficult to do. If you're worried about kids, ensure you put the grilles back on afterwards.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Doctor_t

Post Number: 16
Most speakers aren't designed to sound their best with the grills on, but some are - for example Paradigm drivers are flush with the bezel only with the grilles on, minimizing diffraction effects. They're in the minority though. Many companies will recommend listening with the grilles off, including Totem and Thiel, as long as it's not a problem (kids, smoke, dust etc.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us