Stuffing the hole at the back of the subwoofer with cloth

Anonymous

I came accross an article saying that stuffing the hole at the back of the subwoofer improves quality of bass? is this true? will it not be harmful to the subwoofer?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
It depends on what you shove in there and how much you shove in. Literally, no lie. If you're going to do this you need to use open cell foam, the type used on microphone wind screens. Radio Shack for about $2.99.

studranger
Unregistered guest
do this and youre second guessing the manuf--why?its like putting a rag over an infinity EMIT tweeter lol-makes no sense-you are throwing the entire specs out of kilter for that speaker

Username: Cooldudejz

Post Number: 2
i would not recommend doing that at all. that is where the air is being blown out. subwoofers move large quantities of air. covering the hole restricts the airs movement, which could severly damage you sub

nutman
Unregistered guest
Try repositioning your sub in a different location.

message man
Unregistered guest
I disaggre with that if you do u could blow the woofer and we don't want that

Anonymous

The port on a speaker acts as a tuner. In other words, the manufactuer calculated and tested to create a specific tone from that port/speaker combination, stuffing a rag in it will change the sound, but the only real difference it SHOULD make, is that the bass you hear will be much tighter and not so boomy (to use a technical term). This change will be better or worse depending on the music you listen to. For example, if you like AC/DC, who music uses mostly bass drum beats that are short and hard, you might enjoy that tighter bass created by covering the port. If you choose to listen to rap, where the bass is usually created by electronic means and the notes are usually longer, then leave the port open. Try it out and hear the difference. You shouldn't worry too much about damaging your speakers, unless you do your test a full volume.

Username: Ugzz

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 5
if i ever do anything to a port its change the size to change the rating, or i plug it altogether and make it sealed. less boom, but more punch. i hate when subs cant keep up with my music, sealing the box really helps and i also have a tendency to blow out subs, sealing the box restricts the movement a little more and i havnt blown out a sealed up one yet (went through 2 ported) but i have a SUPER tiny room, so i dont need a ton of deep bass, for a large room i would Guess a sealed box would not be a good choice. never tried though

soorej andrews paul
Unregistered guest
Its natural to deduce that stuffing the tuned port(s) would tighten up the bass. But my concern here is that it might affect the bass extension (because the ports are being used to tune the frequency extensions and not just to increase SPL levels alone). The last time I stuffed the ports on my Mordaunt Short MS907W sub, I felt no characteristic improvement in sound. It didnt tighten up, instead I felt it had lost some of its extension (not to confuse this with slowness). However, I think it has a lot to do with the specific subwoofer model that you have. I recall stuffing one of my cheaper subs -- a Henry Kloss designed computer sub from Cambridge Soundworks -- the bass got real tight and boom was reduced radically. So unless you really try it out on your model, you never know ...

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

soorej andrews pau - Do you know what the Doppler effect is in speakers?

monkey man jack
Unregistered guest
Just think of it like this: if the professional's that built the sub put the ports there, then obveously the sub was meant to have ports. If the ports were meant to be blocked then the company wouldnt have put the ports on the sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us