Arcam 82

Username: Flaxton

Post Number: 3
Does anyone have any comments on the Arcam 82 cd player. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 131
It's been discontinued. The replacement is called the CD192 and this replaces both the 82 and 92. the 192 is better than both machines it replaces. The 82 was no great shakes considering the manufacturer.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Frank. I actually own an 82 and quite like it. Never mind each to his own.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 156
Ouch, sorry Stephen! Didn't mean to diss your pride and joy. I don't blame you for liking it, it's just that the 73T is outstanding value for money and the 92 was a significant leap up from the 82 so the 82 didn't appear to be such a strong performer in the range. Was there a reason for your question?

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 8
Hi Frank. No problem. When I bought it nearlt 2 years ago Audio Excellence and Audio T said it was a good buy for the money.

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

CA

Post Number: 41
I purchased the Arcam 82T new about 60 days ago. I'm using it with Arcam FMJ A32 Integrated amp. The interconnect is Nordost Blue Heaven. After considerable play time, the 82T sounds terrific. It has similar electronics to the newer CD192 and also the Arcam FMJ latest CD player. It [the 82] was the pioneer piece by Arcam that replaced the previous "ring DAC" with the dual Wolfson DAC's.

Its Sony transport is smooth and efficient - and I hear stuff now that I never ever heard using my 7 yr old Harman Kardon CD player.

My speakers are Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII Reference which are quite revealing. Some well recorded redbook CD's sound almost same as SACD.

It's tough selecting CD players as it's almost impossible to get a true A-B comparison at a dealer. I was, however, able to A-B the 82T with a couple of the other Arcams-including the 73T that sounded sort of lifeless compared to the 82T. That was with same amp, speakers, and cables - just switching between two of the amp inputs. I suspect that new CD82T's are still available and - in my opinion - represent a tremendous value relative to it competitors.

One man's opinion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us