Cartridge for Rega P3

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 55
I'm buying a Rega P3. (It's at my home now)

Currently, it has a Grado Prestige Gold installed on it, and while I find this to be a generally very musical cartridge, it's hum on the inner grooves is quite disturbing.

Can anyone recommend a good cartridge pairing for the P3/RB300?

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 315
Brad,

I saw a mention on another forum the Grado cartridges have a reputation for not pairing well with the Regas due to the hum factor.

Dynavector 10x5 and Goldring 1042 were two models mentioned positively but they run around $350. Goldring has a couple of models in the $200 range.

Username: Rbt

Post Number: 1
Cartridge selection for the P2/P3 is tricky because of no VTA adjustments on the RB300 arm (without aftermarket mod-ing, that is). So you need to find a cartirdge w/ the 'right' height. I have a Goldring 1022GX and am pretty happy w/ it. I hear that you can upgrade to the 1042 stylus (keeping the 1022 body) for a small upcharge...anyone confirm this?

Unregistered guest
Something called "mu-metal"? is available that will totally eliminate this Hum You speak of {achieved by sliding a sheet under the plinth between said cartridge and motor}........Grado's moving Iron design has this faulty? trait. I consider Grado to possess 90 per cent of the midrange beauty of the finest moving coil for virtually pennies on the dollar without the added amplification.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I not keeping the Grado, I'm instead considering the following cartridges which have been reccomended for use with the Rega turntable, and which are available to my salesman.

Please give some feedback between these choices:

Goldring 1022
Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood
Clearaudio Aurum Alpha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Thought someone might be interested to learn that I decided on the Clearaudio Aurum Alpha Wood, and let me say that while it cost almost twice the price of the Grado Gold, it was well worth the cost! What a musical cartridge!

It's extremely quiet, with no hum at all, and it tracks extremely well. It pays very little attention to record wear and gets well below the surface scratches for a very clean presentation. One note though, it will require some height adjustment of the stock Rega RB300 in order to have a reasonable VTA. It is a very tall cartridge.

Username: Flaxton

Post Number: 2
I have a Goldring 1042 which I find very good to use with a Rega Planer 3. Also it is possible to get replacement styluses.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 146
Brad,

Rega make spacers for the RB300 in 2mm and 4mm thicknesses. You undo the arm from the deck and slip the spacers in to get the arm height about right. If you want a more accurate solution, both Origin Live and Michell make a VTA adjuster for the RB300 which is basically an extended nut, allowing youn to adjust the VTA completely accurately. The Rega spacers cost peanuts and the other adjusters are only fairly costly AFAIK.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us