Cambridge Audio 840E

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 937
Anyone heard the new 840E? Starting to dream about my 2 channel system and I became a fan of CA after buying my 640C CDP.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1539
You should audition it. IMO I feel your Bryston mono blocks needs a Bryston Pre. See if you can hear one, and look on the used market. Lots usually on canuck audio mart Dave. Don't get my wrong, CA is great stuff for the money, and make great cd players especially. But I feel a 10-15 year old Bryston pre would knock the socks off the CA, and still have a larger warranty.lol Cheers.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 939
The Bryston warranty is hard to beat.

One of the things I liked about 840E is the pre-out for a sub. I'm not exactly a purist - I really like my subs ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1540
How much is the 840E David?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 942
Haven't seen a price for it in CDN funds yet.

Saw it on a Brit website for 750 pounds.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 259
man, that's heavy.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 945
I couldn't type that funny "pound" currency symbol...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2727
I don't think the CA pre-amp will stand up to a Bryston pre-amp either. There are ways to connect a subwoofer without a dedicated sub out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1542
Geez for 750 pounds you can get a mint, used Bryston Pre Amp, that will step on the CA. IMO anything Bryston has ever made in the pre amp section of their lineup over the years should easily out perform anything CA has made for pre amps. You will also be amazed on how much bass those MA RS6's can produce when allowing the Bryston Pre to pass through the sound untouched. Lots of Slam. And like Stu stated, there are other ways of using a sub.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 947
OK, so here's a question for ya Nick (or anyone else). Is there a way with a pre-amp to hook up more than one power amp? What I am thinking is that I'd like to emulate an A/B setup using a preamp.

I read somewhere that you can actually run a Y adapter out the pre-outs on the pre-amp, then hook up 2 amps this way. I'm sure this is possible, since this in one way to bi-amp anyway. But instead of connecting both amps to one set of speakers, running two sets of speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1547
Good question Dave, I am sure there is, but have never tackled that road before my friend. I would love to hear if anyone has input on that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us