Speakercraft vs ???

Scott M
Unregistered guest
I'm new at all of this stuff, but am trying to install a home theater system in my house. I have a Sony STR DE-995 receiver and am looking at Speakercraft AIM one speakers to install in my prewired ceiling. Here's a more detailed post I submitted earlier...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/106506.html

My questions are: Is Speakercraft as good as I've heard they are? Is there a better alternative for an in ceiling speaker system?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 72
Most of the speaker manufacturers make in ceiling and in wall verisons of their speakers. Speakercraft are excellent speakers and IMO will sound great especially the AIM series. My suggestion is to go out and listen to some of the other brands out there and decide which sounds best to you.

Some brands I would recommend would be Paradigm, B&W, NHT, Totem (might be kind of hard to find), Def Tech, and Klipsch. You might be able to find a store that might carry 3-4 of the products.

Good Luck !

Scott M
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the feedback. I've already ordered my Speakercraft AIM8 One's and should have them shortly. I have another question now and I'm sure it won't be the last...

I've read a lot of posts discussing ohms, watts/channel, various receivers working better with certain speakers, etc. My 6.1 surround sound system will be running off my Sony STR DE-995 receiver that is capable of 7.1 surround at 100 watts/channel. These 6 speakers are all 8 ohms. I also have a pair of 8 ohm speakers running in my living room, master bedroom and patio through a speaker selector that connects to the B speaker switch on my receiver. Will I have any problem running all these at once or in any other combination (some on/some off)? Will I damage any of my equipment? I have impedence matching volume controls from Speakercraft in the other rooms that can be adjusted, if that factors into things at all...?

Thanks again for any input... You guys are extremely knowledgeable and have been very helpful!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 75
You should be ok to start off with. The only concern I have is that you are using all in ceiling speakers for your 6.1 system. I would suggest using in walls for your fronts and speakercrafts version of an in wall center channel. I don't think you will be satisfied down the road with all in ceiling for a 6.1 system. Also, I would look into a seperate amp for the other speakers you plan on placing around the house. E-bay and audiogon has good deals on used amps.

Scott M
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice James, but I think I'm going to stick w/the all in-ceiling speakers. My house was prewired for an in-ceiling system and I don't think it would be that easy to change to in-walls... at least it's not something I really want to tackle at this time.

I was thinking that a separate amp would be the way to go. I'm still not sure how the watts/ohms aspect of my speakers/receiver impact each other, but would imagine that this would resolve any possible problems with bogging down my receiver, right? It would also give me the ability to send different signals to different rooms would it not?

Thanks again for helping a complete rookie!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us