Which Hsu?

Bronze Member
Username: Tsl90

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 34
I have (or will when they finally arrive from the factory) a Rotel 1056, B&W600 series front and center, CCM65 ceiling rear. I'm looking at subs for my 18x19 room with 10' ceiling. I like what I read about Hsu, but am not sure which is the best for my application - probably 75% movies / 25% music.

STF 2/3 - supposedly biggest bang/$
- could stretch my budget (again) and go for STF 3

VTF 2/3 - I like the variable tuning idea
- I'm such a novice I may be too stupid to take advantage of it
- I probably could only afford VTF 2

Anyone have any ideas. Is VTF 2 enough to fill this space? Would a newbie be better served with an STF?

Thanks in advance.

TL

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 133
I comfortably fill my room with a STF-3 (30x11x8) but you have 30% more volume to fill. On the other hand, my sub has to keep up with Klipsch La Scala main speakers (104 to 106 dB/1W/1m).

Tough call, but I would guess STF-3 or VTF-3 is best for such a large room.

Fill the web form with your room sizes on the Hsu site and Dr Hsu will email you a recommendation. He did so for me within a few hours!

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 37
Thanks. Dr Hsu (do you think it's really him or that they just put that on e-mails to impress you?) says STF-3 or VTF-3. My own paranoia says that a retailer will always recommend one of their more expensive products even if a lesser model would be OK. I was thinking more about a VTF-2 but I guess my budget will settle me at the STF-3.

Thanks again for your input.

TL

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 316
tpl...I would imagine it was in fact him, small company but they produce awesome subs. I think you will be happy with his recommendation either way

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 137
I concur with vols. I think it's Dr Hsu himself.

Peter

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck_m

Cincinnati

Post Number: 13
Hey TPL -

It sounds like you're in the gray area between the 10" & the 12".

For what it's worth, I was getting the STF-2 for my 13 x 20' room. Mostly music in my case, I couldn't see the exta $100 for the tunable-port VTF series.

But SVS just brought out thier first 10" sub, & I ordered one of these instead of the Hsu. It has more power (300 watts) than the Hsu, & better specs. Is available in 4 finishes for $399 until Nov 1. Suggest you check it out - model PB10-ISD.
Gotta move fast to get the pre-order price, though.

Have fun!

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 42
Dick

Thanks for the info. I confess I'm intrigued. Unfortunatedly my STF-3 should arrive any day. I'm purposefully not researching this as I'm prone to buyer's remorse anyhow...

TL

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 183
Dick,

It always sucks when something comes out right after you buy something, but I'm quite sure you'll be please with the STF-3. Great on music, rock on music.

Let us know how it goes!

Peter

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck_m

Cincinnati

Post Number: 14
TPL - I agree with Peter.

You'll have nothing to regret with the STF-3.
There's always something new on the market, but if you have something of quality like the STF, you can be assured it'll sound great. Enjoy it!

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 44
Thanks again all.

I'm looking forward to my Hsu. Delivery expected tomorrow per Fed Ex. It's not that I worry I won't like it, its that there's a bargain I missed. My budget on this project exploded and saving a few hundred on something would have given me something to brag to the wife about. Oh well...

TL

Username: Beaver

Post Number: 9
i just bought vtf3 mk2 simply put its worth every dollar. sharp clean bass its amazing. cost me 1100cdn and i don't regret one dollar spent. for anyone wanting a excellent sub i would definitly recomend it. i had 2 10inch jbl subs before and this puts them to shame. hope that this helps you out with your choice.

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 45
Hooked my STF-3 up this weekend. What a difference! I wasn't sure I missed much without it, now I'm startint to appreciate it a lot.

Thanks again all.

TL

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 244
Glad to hear it! Great on movies, great on music. I placed mine behind my couch and the impact is strong without being boomy. If the have the Eagles' DVD "Hell Freezes Over", the kick drum is incredible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us