Marantz SR5400 & Monitor Audio Radius 5.1?...Any thoughts?

Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1
I just paired-up a Marantz SV5400 with Monitor Audio's 5.1 Radius surround pkg. (4-R90's,1-r180 & 1-R360). I loved the speakers when I heard them in the store. They were hooked up to a SUPER expensive (for me) NAD system with all the bells & whistles.

I was originally set on a NAD T743, but I found the Marantz for $439.(+ FREE s&h!) vs $699. for the NAD.

This is my first good system; did I make a good choice? I would say it will be a 60/40 split between video & music (mostly blues & classic rock at the moment).

I would appreciate any comments.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 771
You made a very, very good choice. Marantz is a perfect match with MA. The 5400 is a particularly great receiver in it's class. Probably the best under $700 receiver on the market. Enjoy your new system.

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks, you just made my day.

I also upgraded my DVD player form a low-end Apex 2500 (it has Karaoke, I think I'll keep it), to a matching Marantz DV4400 refurb. for $199.

Any opinions on cables? I wont go cheap (RCA, GE, etc.), but I don't want to go broke buying high-end Monster, Acoustic Research, or XLO, Ethereal, River.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a company named Audio Showcase's Primium grade prouducts (http://www.audioshowcase.com/index.htm). I also considered Cables to Go's SonicWave line of products (http://www.cablestogo.com), But the Audio Showcase was very similar & was considerably less expensive.

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 50
Chris, out f curiosity, did you go to Harvey Electronics?

Silver Member

Post Number: 772
If you are looking for good quality analog interconnects and optical and coax cables check out the Phoenix Gold 500 series at Crutchfield. Excellent and very inexpensive. For example a 2 meter optical cable is 24.99 and very good. All of this line is a real bargain even from Crutchfield. Two day delivery in most cases. Parts Express also has lots of interconnects and speaker wire at budget prices but I caution against the Sound King speaker wire. I tried it and with my Elite/MA system it was very bright. They do have a great selection however. Very fast delivery also.

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 6
Robert

Yes, I've been to Harvey Electronics before. Why?

Harvey's has great help (Ask for Jack, He's a real nice guy), but I saved several hundred dollars shopping online between tax & discounts, all without compromising waranties.

I NEVER intended to spend as much as I have on all this stuff (I was going to buy a HTIB!), but when I went to Harvey's & met Jack, I got the bug.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 451
For the cables and such, also check out www.partsexpress.com. Look at the "Dayton" Brand, which is their house brand. Those cables are every bit as good as Monster but they only cost a fraction of the price. I recommend them highly.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 161
I've heard those Radius speakers and was very surprised to hear such a great sound coming from such a small speaker. They are one of a few true satellite speakers I've heard that sound more like bigger bookshelf speakers. Excellent combo for Marantz too. Enjoy.

Anonymous

best Receiver for under 700? how abt the HK AVR530? it's 699 shipped.

Anonymous

err....not the 530, make it the 630 sorry

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 8
Please remember, I never intended to spend $700., I spent only $439., and initially intended to spend under $200.! So I think I did pretty well.

But that's a good question. What is the best receiver for under $200.?

I've seen a Yamaha HTR-5650SL for $189. NIB, and I've heard mostly good things about Panasonic's SA-HE200 and their digital receiver the SA-XR25.

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 10
I just realized I paid $449. for the Marantz, not $439. Still pretty good.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 11
UPDATE: I found an online coupon for www.hifi.com and received 10% off my order! So, I actually $404.01 with FREE s/h for the Marantz SV5400! Wow do I feel good!

http://www.xpcoupons.com/coupon_codes.php/Hifi.com_coupons.htm

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 14
Another UPDATE: I received my Marantz SV5400 this morning,one day after placing the order!

Do business with hifi.com!

Anonymous

OK, so....Marantz 7400 for $720 or HK 630 for $700? both out-the-door prices and from authorized dealers

Silver Member

Post Number: 775
Both are terrific units and those are good prices. You can't lose either way. Buy the one you have the best feeling about but my vote would go to the Marantz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Just asking b/c I know they have the monitor audios hooked up to the NAD 773 (that is the ystem I went with) and I saw you were from NY. Those speakers are great...I have the same set-up as you but I haven't gotten the sub yet. Do you like the monitor sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
P.S. I decided on the speakers first and was intending on going w/ the Marantz 7400. It is a great combo. However a dealer in NJ offered me a NAD773 V2 for $1,200 and I couldn't resist despite it being a bit over my budget. That is why I am waiting for the sub (need to save $$). I don't mind though in that it gives me something to look forward to.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 15
Robert

I have not received the MA Radius set yet. I ordered them online for about $400. less than Harvey's. I was blown away with the MA-R's!

As for the receiver, $1200. is just WAY out of my leauge. Really, I got a pretty damn good deal. I want to tell everyone. I don't think you can beat a Marantz SV5400 for $404. delivered & warrantied.

Check out HiFi.com & check the web for coupons.
P.S. Don't be affraid of Factory Refurbs.

Anonymous

did you mean SR5400 (not SV)?

What about this one SR5400+DV4400 for 350?
http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2515

or sr5400 alone for 250+s/h?
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/marantzsr5400.shtml?dealtimecpc|p|p

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 24
Sorry, Yes I meant the Marantz SR5400.

My friend, perhaps you failed to notice that the sight you are referring to is in England, and the price's are given in British pounds (£) not U.S. dollars ($).

$645.49 would be the U.S. price for the SR5400 & SR4400 combo, and that's before s/h.

Anonymous

whoops, sorry ;-)

everything's so cheap in there ...

Anonymous

so anyway, I bought it for 350 british pounds, which is still not bad I think, and gonna pair it with by Dali blue 505. Btw, I had the same dilemma as to whether go for a slightly more expensive NAD components ...

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 25
Dude? Are you from England? Because you paid $648. U.S.dollars before delivery for the same receiver delivered from hifi.com for $449.

What gives? Thats $200.+dollars in your pocket.

Anonymous

yeah, from England
I bought it for 350 pounds, plus got free DV4400 + free shipping.

Moreover, if I have bought it from USA, I'd have to pay the custom+shipping ... and also the plugs are different ... too many problems ;-)

I still haven't received it yet, I can't wait

Anonymous

but while we're at it, could you please advice what speakers are the best match to marantz? I'm thinking of buying a whole set of 2 front + 2 rear + center
Thanks for your recommendations

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 26
I fell in love with the Monitor Audio Radius speeaker I bought (4-R90's,1-R180 &1-R360).

Silver Member

Post Number: 805
Monitor Audio goes perfectly with Marantz. Depending on your budget look at the Silver and Bronze lines as well as the Radius. I have a Silver series system and love them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us