HK 330 OR DENON 1804

Unregistered guest
I'm in the middle of a renovation project and decided to upgrade some of the audio components as well. Sheetrock has consumed most of the budget but I'm torn between the HK 330, the HK 325, or the denon 1804.

I'm a newbie to most of this, but I have a room that is 24x24, a set of Denon 5.1 speakers, and I listen to an even split of movies and music.

Any recomendations?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 227
I like the 40 lbs h/k 325, and I'd think it has more features then the Denon 1804 (which I don't think has pre-outs on all channels for example, nor sophisticated bass management). The h/k also has high-current amps and has no trouble driving 4 ohm speakers, which the Denon is not suited for as I recall. Even if you have 8-ohms speakers, this is a mark of good amplification.

ROSCO86
Unregistered guest
Thanks Peter,

I was leaning that way as well. Now it's between the AVR 325 and the 330. I think the 325 wins.... one becase of the MP3 decoding (my wife loves to download the stuff) and the heaftier amp.... 40 lbs monster.

Both have Multi room support that I need and all the various decoding options., except THX.

I think it's worth giving up the additional 5 watts in the newer model, you agree?

Any recommendations for a speaker system to go with the HK 325 in case I'm not satisfied with my Denon 5.1's performance?

I have a 24x24 room and a $400 budget

ROSCO86
Unregistered guest
Thanks Peter,

I was leaning that way as well. Now it's between the AVR 325 and the 330. I think the 325 wins.... one becase of the MP3 decoding (my wife loves to download the stuff) and the heaftier amp.... 40 lbs monster.

Both have Multi room support that I need and all the various decoding options., except THX.

I think it's worth giving up the additional 5 watts in the newer model, you agree?

Any recommendations for a speaker system to go with the HK 325 in case I'm not satisfied with my Denon 5.1's performance?

I have a 24x24 room and a $400 budget

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 228
I've never tried mp3 decoding on my h/k avr-325, but as I recall you need to input it a PCM stream somehow which may not be obvious. Download the manual and check it out. It mentions the "S/P-DIF PCM output of a compatible sound card" or use the h/k DAL 150 to transform.

As far as watts per channel, I'd be surprised if the 325 gave out less than the 330 in real life, and no, I wouldn't worry about a 10% difference in any case.

As far as speakers... 24x24 is a big room and $400 is a tiny budget for all speakers in a 5.1 system. Certainly not in line with what you are spending on the receiver. It's a big room, so get efficient speakers, perhaps Klipsch. It's not much money, check out ebay.

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 25
The H/K receivers can be had at great prices by checking pricegrabber.com and ebay.

I just ordered a remanufactured H/K AVR 330 with factory warranty from HarmonKardon Direct on Ebay for only $350.00

ROSCO86
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help.......

I just ordered A remanufactured HK 325 from HK direct, $323.00 + shipping (the wife veto'd the silver and black of the hk 330.)

Your right on the speaker budget, I went out today and everything I liked is easily $800 and up. I need wall mountable units because of the kids. Of all the speakers I listened to today with an HK 330, the Polk RM 10's sound best. I was not impressed by the Bose and the Infinities were a bit shrill for me. I want to audition a few more speakers so I will make the call by the end of the month.

Any recommnedations?

Cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us