Single CD Snobbery?

StuartNADfan
Unregistered guest
Why is it that audiophilia say single CD players are the "only way to go?" What's the difference if the machine can load several CDs at once and present them to the laser for playing? It can't affect sound quality. I listen to a lot of classical music and a lot of it is on 2 or 3 or more CD sets. It's nice to play them right through. So what's the big deal?

Username: Wolfson

Post Number: 5
What it comes down to is this. All changers are not bad. In fact there are some really nice changers out there for little money. But to trully get the best from a CD you should go single disc. The main reasons being you can invest more on internal parts such as DAC's and a better transport to help reduce jitter. Which does affect sound quality. You can also invest more in the power supply section.

This is in a nutshell is what you pay for. I have personally noticed a substantial improvement with single disc players. However you can always just use the digital output on most players and buy a better DAC. This can make major improvements as well.

Wolf

StuartNADfan
Unregistered guest
But that's my point. Why not offer me a model A with a single CD and a model B with the same electronics and multi CD? Seems like a no-brainer.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 127
i dont think you understood stuart. you can buy a multi with the same electronics as a single. the single would be cheaper by virtue that the multi would require extra electronics and programming to allow for playing multiple cds. jay's point is that the reason audiophiles say single is better way to go is that the money is better spent on the parts then to play more cds at a time. you wont find many multi SACD or DVD-A players. if you bother to look at high end audio most companies sell multi disc players at around $200 or $300 that play like 5 CDs. then the rest of the cd players they sell are single ranging from $200 to the thousands. the most important part of the CD player is the DAC. you buy a cheap cd player you get a cheap DAC just like you buy a cheap car you get cheap brakes.

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 89
I actually think Stuart has raised a valid point. Why indeed can I not purhcase a £1000 multi disc player? I may "only" have the sound quality of an £800 single disc player, but that's my choice.

My guess (and I don't know half enough about PCM system) is that there must be some intrinsic loss of quality with the multi-disc mechanical systems, otherwise I am sure at least one company would have developed and brought a quality multi player to market.

nout
Unregistered guest
But what's wrong with getting up to change the disc?
Lazy buggers! ;)

Why not the easiest way then: get an iPod? Its sound is very acceptable.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 129
i think nout brings up a point that encompasses your needs for multi disc players

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 94
Aha Nout of course! Its a conspiracy theory to get lazy folks to exercise more: I bet multi disc players are MUSH sorry much better sounding ha ha!
Ipod sound quality, I hope that is YOUR tongue in your cheek I can see there nout. Compressed MP3 files eurgh :-)

nout
Unregistered guest
It's not tongue in cheek actually, I wrote "its (iPod) sound is very acceptable", that doesn't mean its sound is very good. But you won't find any cd-reading problems (disc changers aren't that reliable) and it's even more comfortable than a disc changer and it looks cool too...I still haven't got one though...

Anonymous

Why not simply invest in a maid to change your CDs for you? Now this might be expensive, in which case you could probably buy a small philipino boy to do the work for less. The point is, that everytime she bends down to change the disc, you get a rather nice view of her backside. When you get bored with listening to music....

I don't know if I should post this but I guess a silly question deserves a silly answer.

On a more practical note - if anyone makes any progress on training a dog to change the disks, please let us know.... Just please, all I ask is no details concerning what happens when you tire of the music....

Anonymous

By the way, StuartNADfan,

What IS 'audiophilia'? I was wondering how one goes about this? Does it involve special lubricants?

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 15
Changers are not the reliable? Never had a problem with one. I dont listen to every song on a disc so a changer is perfect for me at least. MP3's,ipods. Dont know much about them but would i rather listen to 100 songs of low quality or 10 songs of high quality? For me,its quality over quantity anytime.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us