Def-tech speakers for marantz/hk

Username: Htspk

Post Number: 3
I have started looking for the complete HT setup and am planning to buy the def-tech BP10B..I would like to know if these speakers will match with either the marantz or HK receiver.

These speakers have freq. response starting from 20HZ.Does it mean that there is no need of a sub-woofer?Any experiences?
Will appreciate any other recommendations for the speakers (Main/Front) in $600 - $700 range .
Thanks

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 128
UM: hey, yeah, Definitive Technology... whom I like to call the "other" bi-polar speaker company. I have the Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs. I had looked at DefTechs before, because of the bi-polar design. I like them.

Yeah, my Paradigms are rated 18Hz to 22kHz but that base "extension" is due to Paradigms gratuitous use of the room contributing at least -3dB to the output of the speakers (another topic!). I believe that the drivers themselves are rated to 28Hz.

In any event, a 6.9" (17cm) midrange (which is what's in the BP10s) just CAN NOT push that much air. It's just physically impossible. :-)

Talking about the dedicated subwoofers... those 10-12" subwoofers are designed -- along with their cabinet -- to get base extension which is going to be tighter and lower than that from your floorstanding loudspeakers. Some of them even employ dual 12" drivers mounted one behind the other.

I'm sorry, I seem to always explain more than just answering the question straight away. The answer to your question on needing a sub-woofer is, most definately, yes. The major reason for this, besides your main speakers, is that Home Theater "multi-channel sound" (like DTS and Dolby Digital) is designed to use an LFE (low frequency effect) channel. It's the ".1" in the designation of channels for a system... like 5.1 or 7.1 . Without a dedicated subwoofer, you'll surely be missing out on some of the soundtrack. Those explosions are gonna sound like firecrackers, not explosions! :-)

I'm curious... with your Home Theater, do you expect to listen to music more or movies/tv more?

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 52
i'm also thinking of getting the def-tech bipolars and wondering why you wouldn't just wire the subwoofers through the LFE? it's my understanding that you can do so and then you have two ten inch subwoofers of course so why on earth would you want a third? two is one more than most systems as is?

Username: Htspk

Post Number: 4
Geekboy, thanks for the response.I plan to use it about 70% for Movies and 30% for Music.

Post Number: 130
matthew: you may be confused with the higher end Def Techs which have a subwoofer in them. The model which was listed above is the BP10 which is nothing like it's bigger brothers the BP3000 and BP7000

Post Number: 131
UM: I was hoping your desire was mostly for movies! I like bipolars, but they're not good for the critical music listener. I love my Paradigms as they fill the room with sound. They never seem to get "loud"... they just seem to fill the room with more SOUND! It never amazes me, anymore, when someone comes over and says "why is that so loud?" I didn't even notice... is usually my response. It's easy to get enclosed in that room full of pleasant audio!

Don
Unregistered guest
I second geekboy's opinion. I also have Bipolar speakers. Def Tech BP8s along with a 15inch Sub. Get a subwoofer.

Geekboy, what receiver did you match with your Eclipses?

Post Number: 133
Don: I use to run a Kenwood KRV-990D, and it really didn't do justice. I have since switched to a Harman Kardon AVR-525. They sound really nice now... and I'm sure they'd sound nicer with a better amplifier. BTW, I had a temporarily lapse in judgement and had purchased a Sony STR-DE995 just before the H/K purchase... wrong!

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 53
this is true. i was looking at the 2004tl and the 2002tl and i believe both have 250rms internally powered 10" subs. never mind my two cents.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us