Cheap Universal - Toshiba or Pioneer or Samsung?

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 58
Hi all,

Just getting into DVD-A/SACD. The Denon 3910 would be my top choice but I don't think Santa is that nice this Christmas. :-(

I am currently considering the Toshiba SD4960 over a Pioneer 478 (read about the popping noise, base mgmt issues, etc) or Samsung 841 (heard lots of issues as well).

If anyone has experience with the SD4960 please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Anthony

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Put the Toshiba on a "do not come close to buying - EVER!!!" list. I bought one, the problems with the player are too numerous to list and the sound is only OK (even given the price range). When I asked Toshiba a few simple questions about the player (such as what audio does come out of the mixed audio outputs if the manual says only stereo comes out; 2 channel SACD and DVD-A?), they had no idea what I was asking. The question has been kicked up to a higher level. I have been waiting for an answer for almost three months now. On Toshiba's suggestion, I returned the unit to the seller. You would be wise to scratch this player off your list.

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 59
Thanks for the info. I was unknowningly looking at a heavily mod version of the SD4960, that's why I thought it was better than the Samsung.

I did more research & found out the SD4960 is actually just a repackaged Samsung 841!!! Somebody did open the box & found the circuitry to be identical. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us