Harman Kardon Memory problem

Username: Ajhwilliams

Post Number: 1
If the power to the receiver (AVR300) is shut off even for very brief periods I loose all the settings! The unit should last up to 2 weeks without this problem, but the problem occurs as soon as it is switched off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 147
Same here with avr-325, but the manual even says to switch it off using the mechanical switch to reset!

Post Number: 2
Thanks Peter.

I checked with my manual and in order to completely reset the unit I have to release the main power switch and then press the AM/FM and Dobly PR switch whilst pressing the Power switch again. The problem is the unit goes back to the factory settings every time the power is cut. An option is not to turn the unit off but from time to time loss of power is going to happen.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 149
I see. Different models. Mine has a lighted electronic switch which you do use, and a mechanical one you shouldn't (except when a friend did, and when the babysitter did; and then I have to reset everything!)

Sounds like you have a bigger problem...

Post Number: 3
I rechecked the manual and there is no mention of not using the Main Power switch (the one you refer to as mechanical), it just says "in normal operation the swith it left in the ON position". Anyway the issue is even if the power is cut to the unit for any amouint of time (e.g. if a fuse blows) the unit loses its settings. According to the manual the unit should last about 2 weeks without this issue.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 151
Well, even a 1 second power failure leads to a reset on my avr-325. :-(

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 21
Same problem with my AVR-430. Any power out or main switch off, I loose everything. I e-mailed HK and they answered saying the unit is defective - should be returned to an authorized service center. I cheked a friend's AVR-7300 and the setup holds all data when main power is cut.

So I thought problems were only with NAD...

Post Number: 4
Hi again,

This is some info I got from a HK dealer today

"The memory is held up by a large value capacitor. This needs to be
replaced by a qualified service engineer."

by the replies I have had from my post this sounds like a common problem!!

I sent mine off for repair today :-( i will let you know how much it cost me, but this will take a couple of weeks. So no reciever for a while :-( :-(

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 27
Does anyone have an AVR-430 service manual? I'll try to fix it myself, I just need to know where is the capacitor.
Thanks in advance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us