Looking at integrated amps for music and some dvd watching

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 17
with only 2 channel hence I'm not looking for dts, prologic...

I need a neutral sounding amp like the NAD's. I found a used Denon PMA-2000R that looks like what I need but the price is a little steep at $600. I don't think the Denon compares to the NAD for SQ as I have read Hawks many posts saying hi Denon receiver sounds dull.

Thanks

Anonymous

Audio Advisor has some Cambridge Audio Integrated Amps running in the $300s. I have Audio Advisor found them to be reputable, and fairly reasonably priced, if a little on the high side.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/clearance.asp?sort=cat&disp=all

Username: Gman

Post Number: 88
Go to Audiogon.com You will find good and great older two channel equipment. Very few companies invest squat in "quality" stereo equipment these days. It is often cheaper to buy better surround equipment than stereo equipment, for no other reason than there is little to no competition on stereo equipment and there is monumental competition on surround equipment.

So if you truly want some good stereo integrated amps--go to audiogon. You can find great amps and stereo preamps-- a bit more expensive though. But the older analog equipment is often better than the newer analog equipment. Mostly Same circuitry built with better parts.

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 19
Thanks anon and Greg. I'm just a minimalist when it comes to A/V setups. Less problems more enjoyment is what I'm into.

I've been watching Audiogon for some good deals. They're out there, just have to pull the trigger. I saw a nice Rotel RA 1070 for just under $1k in 10/10 condition. Too bad I don't have it right now. I would have grabbed it up.

I'll just keep my eyes open.

Username: John_a

Post Number: 77
jeff,

Do not underestimate DTS for music - it is the high-end sound format on DVD-V discs, giving DVD-A a run for its money, probably.

I bang on about NAD AV receivers regularly here, but it is because these are AV receivers built around excellent stereo intergrated amps. You might wish to consider the T742. I thought I was buying a HT-only receiver with my T760 but found the performance in stereo was better than that of my older stereo pre/power amp combo.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 187
Ebay has old Marantz receiver 2270 or Sansui 9000, or 9090 for $200. If you get a working one, it sounds warm and dynamic. I like the sound of these classics.

You can also get NAD integrated for less - not as powerful.

Arcam is another nice one to hunt down.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us