BOSE Lifestyle 8 + SACD/DVD-A

Username: Sigma6

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I have a BOSE Lifestyle 8 system and I am thinking about buying a SACD/DVD-A player. My question is, I know I won't be able to play these formats in 5.1, but will I still be able to play these formats through my BOSE and receive a high resolution sound (and I am thinking about buying a low end player for now, eg. the pioneer DV-676A)?

Cheers,
Ben.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 173
It depends on the interconnections. S/PDIF (coaxial or optical) cannot handle SACD or DVD-A bitstreams. How have you hooked up your system?

Username: Sigma6

Post Number: 2
Well I was thinking if I did buy a player I would put it through the coaxial input, but that doesn't seem like a good idea now :-), so my only other options on the BOSE are just the normal RCA inputs for AUX and Video.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2293
Benjamin,

You should still get higher resolution sound than from CD. Many SACD and DVD-A discs carry a two-channel, stereo mix. And, if not, players will often downmix 5.1 to stereo. So there should be no discs you cannot play. The thing to do would be to take the player's 5.1 analogue ouputs for Left and Right main channels, and connect those to any "Aux" input, just as you would for an external CD player. I think you will be impressed at the sound quality. The same goes for DVD-Video discs; many carry a high-resolution stereo track, too. Some people prefer that to 5.1, for music on DVD-V.

Unregistered guest
I have a Lifestle 8 and the sound just quit on me today. I checked all the connections and reset the power. Any ideas anyone?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us