Marantz SR5400 with B&W CDM1 SE mains

Username: Blind_bat

Post Number: 2
Hi

I've just recently upgraded to the Marantz SR5400 receiver / DV6400 universal player combo, and have decided to go the B&W speaker route. I was considering the 600 series, wanting to as money allows build up and replace my rather mixed 5.1 speaker setup with only one-brand speakers for best tonal integration - maybe barring only the Yamaha sub, as I love it too.
I've come across a pair of second-hand CDM1 SE's at a good price.
Should I jump for them - would the SR5400 drive them ok as mains (Can't demo them in my own environment) - are the matching possibilities with CDM1 SE mains going to cost Heaven and Earth?
I mostly will have to listen at moderate levels as I live in a town house complex. Would the 600 series still be a better overall option? I listen to 80% music, but not necessarily only in stereo, and 20% dvd.
What would anyone suggest, would really appreciate it.Tks
Carl

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 76
Carl:

Assuming the used CDMs are in good condition (and I am sure they are), they represent a big step up, in terms of sound quality, over the B+W 600 series. I used to own some 601s (older series), so I have kept up with B+W products because I like them. But, even with the newest Series 3, I still think the 600 through 602.5 speakers sound a little congested in the mid-range. Conversely, I think the CDM series is simply great to listen to, with no hint of constriction anywhere in the audio range. My only warning is that the CDM series is being discontinued and replaced by the new 700 series, so you may need to get aggressive in looking for more CDM series speakers to fill out a HT set-up (like getting the matching center channel speaker--you can always used 600 series for the rears).

Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Hi Hawk

Thanks very much for the reply, sorry I only respond back now, I make use of the work internet and thus didn't have access over the week-end.
Yes the cdm1's are in mint condition, like a dark cherry wood finish with stands, and my dealer claims they do get in the odd cdm centre speakers on the odd occasion.

In terms of power, will the Marantz SR5400's 90 watts rms into 8 ohms per channel be sufficient enough to drive the CDM1 SE's to a fair potential, I believe they are rated for amps between 30 and 120 Watts, and sensitivity of 88 db, as opposed to the 90 db sensitivity of the 602's for example, with simlar amp recommendations.

Anyway, I will write back on my findings, as I'm quite sure of taking the pair of CDM1's.

Many thanks
Car

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 101
Carl:

I think the Marantz will have sufficient power, provided your room is not inordinately large. Like most mass market receiver makers, you have to take Marantz power ratings with a grain (or more) of salt as it will not produce 90 wpc when driving five or six channels at the same time. I do not know what the power fall-off would be, but that marantz should still be able to producea good 50 wpc, perhaps a bit more. As you will only have the two speakers initially, you will get pretty close to the 90 wpc the receiver is rated at. It is only later as you add more speakers that a problem might arise.

You can always add more power later by buying a two channels outboard amp, such as the NAD C270 or a B&K ST 125.2, which you can use to drive your front channels to relieve the stress on the receiver's inboard power section (since it would only have to power three channels instead of five). I know a lot of people who do this and it is a great solution if you find your receiver doesn't have enough power once you get an entire HT system set up.

Congtrats on the CDM1s--they are truly awesome speakers.

Username: Valeem

Post Number: 61
Hawk,

Just to inform you the 5400 has been reviewed by a couple of well respected magazines who also do output testing of receivers and in both instances the 5400 came out with very respectable figures.

Here is one:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/9700.html

If my memory serves me correctly I do believe elitefan posted a sound&vision test also where the 5400 came out with even more impressive results.

Username: Valeem

Post Number: 64
Here is elitefan's comments regarding the 5400:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/8255.html

Post Number: 4
Hawk and Valeem,
Thanks so much for your input on the Sr5400 and CDm1's, really much appreciated.
After doing a bit of reading, I realise that the Sr5400, and infact the whole new x400 range of Marantz receivers seem to have good power supplies and seemingly can deliver sufficient power driving all channels. I can't comment on that from a personal perspective, as I'm running in stereo only, and once I've got the CDM1's (Next week) then I'll put my Jamo's as rear (for now) and unpack my AE Aegis centre (for now) and give it a 5.1 run (rear centre speaker will materialize at a later time).
Will keep you posted.
Carl
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us