Please help me upgrade

BrettD
Unregistered guest
I have 2 polk audio Rti100s for my left and right channels, a LsiC center (which i just bought a couple weeks ago) and a couple no name surrounds powered by my H/K avr7200. My plan is to keep the Rti100s for surrounds and buy a new center and main left and right channel speakers. Ive enjoyed the sound of my Rtis for a long time so my first choice for upgrading my system was polks lsi series. Well i decided to try out the LsiC to get feel for the sound of Lsis (didnt have enough money to buy the Lsi15s to try out) The first thing i noticed was that the LsiC was much brighter and more detailed when compared to the Csi. Voices were much more natural sounding, and it was capable of producing deep voices without the booming, boxy like, sound of the Csi. But the LsiC was a little too bright for my tastes and made my ears hurt after extended listening. Is it safe to assume given that Polk uses the same technology throughout their entire Lsi lineup, that the Lsi15s would be the same way? Dont get me wrong, i love the increase in detail and clarity and the reduced boxy sound of the Rtis but i dont like my ears to bleed when i listen to music either! I have just a little over 2000 dollars to spend on 2 mains and a center. Some of the other brands im considering are Axiom, Def Techs, or Monitor Audio Silvers. The bright monitors are generally considered a good match with HKs smooth warm sound; but after the slightly disapointing experience with the LsiC im not so sure my H/K 7200 is warm enough (especially if monitors are even brighter than Lsis) All 3 of these brands seem to get good reviews. But Axioms are especially intriguing since they are priced much cheaper. I cant go and listen to these brands so i have to rely on advice and trial and error. Any help would be great.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 759
Monitor Audio Silvers are not bright at all after they are broken in. They become very neutral and balanced and are a good match with H/K. Def Tech would also be a very good choice. I do not have an Axiom dealer anywhere near me do I can't comment on them but I can say my MA Silvers and Elite 45 receiver sound great together and I know the H/K and MA's would also.
I would very much like to hear the Polk LSi9 but again no dealers anywhere close.

BrettD
Unregistered guest
Ill go ahead and keep the LsiC and see if it mellows any after a week of nonstop playing. Im not ready to give up on the Lsi just yet. 3 weeks is enough time to warm it up right? If i can just take a little of the edge off, it would really be a great speaker. But if it still doesnt grow on me I can always take the silvers for a spin. How is the bass and mids on the S10s? Is there a trustworthy place to buy monitors online?

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 376
Brett...3 weeks would be more than enough time, basically on average I would say that you need somewehre in the neighborhood of 40 hours break in time. The Polks are quite nice and I am a fan of both the Rti and Lsi line ups, do you know what gear they were playing the Lsi's on? That might be the culprit in your listening fatigue. Also, You mention Def Techs and MA's, both of which would be a great match. I have not heard the Axioms so I can't comment, the def techs would be my top choice. Have you listened to the Def Techs so far? Which models?

BrettD
Unregistered guest
Im not sure what the Lsi15s were on when i listened to them, its been a while. They were probably demoing them on thier most expensive denon or yamaha reciever they had, most of the places around here just try to push the expensive stuff. I havnt had a chance to listen to deftechs so far. I live in the middle of nowhere. The closest dealer is about 100 miles from here so it makes it hard to try different models and brands. I feel i cant even trust what they sound like at these dealers around here (circuit city, ultimate electronics) because they are not at all interested in sound and proper matching, just sales. The only speakers of these ive mentioned that i have had experience with are the Rtis and Lsis. I guess im just hitting the point of diminishing returns. I expected to be blown away by my LsiC (which by the way is mellowing out a little now). It sounds really good you cant even compare the Csi to the LsiC in terms of detail and clarity. I guess id have to spend alot more than $2000 on a center and 2 towers to get that WOW factor that i had when going from cheap sony bookshelves to Rti towers and center. I know i cant trust the way Lsi15s wound at the store so i will order them next and try them out. haha maybe thats not the best idea because once i get those in my room I may not be able to make myself try anything else. The lsi towers are damn beautiful, pretty close to works of art IMO. Do you know of any good places online to get Def Techs vols?

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
I believe def techs are only authorized to be sold at dealers. I visited my father in Dallas this past weekend and I took a ride down to the Ultimate Electronics store, I noticed that they had both the Def Tech 7002 and the Def Tech Mythos line, while I agree it's not the best place to demo it's certainly better than nothing. Besides I think they have a 15 day return policy but check my accuracy on that. They also had KEF which where quite nice as well. They do have Pioneer receivers so I would request the use of these instead of the Yamaha and Denon, this will give you a better idea of what the H/K might sound like. The Pioneer Elites are, to me, neutral to slightly warm sounding so they will be a good match, they won't sound exactly the same as the H/K but I would venture to guess that if you like the Pioneer sound you will like the H/K with these speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
Here's a link to the store locator for Def Tech

http://www.definitivetech.com/dealers/dealers.html

BrettD
Unregistered guest
Ill head to Ultimate Electronics next time I go to Tulsa and see if i can find some deftechs in my price range. Thanks for the advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
No problem, the prices you see on the def tech website are standard at all dealers (at least the ones I have seen) so that will narrow down the choices prior to listening. Also, check out the Spendors, they are wonderful speakers from what I hear but I have not heard them so far.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us